Leaking intake gasket?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
loudsubz

Leaking intake gasket?

Post by loudsubz »

A couple of years ago we had the issue with the OEM intake gasket cracking and letting air in causing the car to idle really bad and throw a CEL.

I ended up replacing the gasket but the one that replaced it wasn't the orange or red gasket, it was another black (maybe old stock??). Anyways it fixed the problem right up and everything was great again.

Fast forward to the last few months and I have noticed the engine seems to idle at a lower than normal RPM and also shake a bit more noticeably. I also am concerned because when I blip the throttle I can hear a sucking noise from the engine bay like its sucking air NOT from the intake area.

I haven't had a chance to have someone blip while I have been under the hood but could this be the same seal coming back to haunt me again or should that seal (as bad as they are) at least last a few years before going bad again?
jolt

Re: Leaking intake gasket?

Post by jolt »

Vacuum leaks like the intake gasket should make the idle speed higher, not lower. Check that your air filter box is sealed shut and that all the air intake hoses are on and sealed. You may need to clean your Mass Air Flow Sensor with the proper cleaner, do a search about that on this forum. Also when was the last time you took the throttle body off and cleaned that out? Search about that here too.