'09 random engine shut off

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
captainblinski

'09 random engine shut off

Post by captainblinski »

Hi GenVibe,

My '09 Vibe's engine base model 2wd 1.8L has shut off three times in the past few months whilst going downhill and around sharp curves that you have to take at about 25-30 mph. Once I pulled over safely, the engine started and ran normal.

Has anyone had this trouble or know a possible fix? I did find this but only applies thru the 2008 model year:

The recall affects no less than 161,754 units of the Pontiac vehicles manufactured between 2005-2008, all equipped with the 1ZZ-FE engine and in two-wheel drive configuration. The problem is a manufacturing defect of the ECM (Engine Control Module).
jolt

Re: '09 random engine shut off

Post by jolt »

Could it be a gasoline pick up problem in your gas tank or a float sensor problem in your gas tank? How low was gas level in your tank when the shutoff's occurred? Does it ever shutoff when the gas tank level is half full or more?
captainblinski

Post by captainblinski »

There's usually three quarters to one quarter in the tank. The car starts cold and goes almost immediately down a long hill with the sharp bends. No shut-offs for almost a month now. I got some different opinions on that, from cleaning the throttle body to the engine CM. So gonna try techron and some 3/4 throttle runs - I don't dare floor that Vibe lol.
jolt

Post by jolt »

I wonder if you got some bad gas in your tank or water. Maybe try some gas line anti-freeze. If there is water in your tank this will help absorb the water into the gas and get it out of the tank.

Also side note: Avoid filling your car at a gas station when a tanker truck is dumping there. Your chances of get bad gas (dirt, water, etc. being stirred up in the underground tank) will be reduced.