Pop under hood no start

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Rubbersiidedown

Pop under hood no start

Post by Rubbersiidedown »

Ok I've read numerous posts but still can't figure this out. 2005 vibe base model . Auto with 130k. Everything was fine except it was taking longer than normal to crank and start . It needed some stuff replaced for inspection namely the blinker bulb behind the battery . We pulled the battery and replaced the bulb but when the battery was connected we heard a pop . It sounded like it was under the hood . The car now cranks but won't start . I replaced the fuel pump because it needed one anyway and have also checked the fuses under the hood. Both the starter relay in the dash and the fuel pump relay under the hood have been swapped fromarunning vibe . Still no luck. No check engine lights . Anyone want to point me where to look next ? Thanks guys and gals .
joatmon

Re: Pop under hood no start

Post by joatmon »

Check various unrelated electrical circuits to see if other things are also not working.

For example, if things like the horn, headlights and emergency flashers are working, but tail lights, brake lights, and the 115V AC inverter are not working, then you may have blown the big 100A ALT fuse that is bolted into the fuse block
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Assuming after 12 years that this is a replacement, you may want to check the battery- is it Group 35 size? Very odd that you heard a pop when you connected the battery. There can be some arcing when you touch the wire to the terminal, but it sounds like static electricity, not a pop like a fuse. Also, trouble starting can mean a loose/corroded terminal connection, weak battery, or charging issue (check alternator and accessory belt).
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
cq358

Post by cq358 »

I think there was a recall on your vintage of Vibe,corolla, Trix about defective solder joints on Delphi supplied ECM.http://media.toyota.ca/releases/toyota- ... rol-module
Someone in your vibe vintage also did the recall recently viewtopic.php?t=43694