Grenaded Transmission? Blown Torque Converter?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
juliant18

Grenaded Transmission? Blown Torque Converter?

Post by juliant18 »

Hello all, I drive a 2006 fwd Vibe and today something really spectacular happened. So my friend was driving my car and when we were pulling out onto a street we heard a clunk so loud I (removed) you not I thought my car was going to split in two. We instantly looked at each other wide eyed and thinking "Well, something's broken AGAIN". So the result now is when in drive, car goes from first gear fine into what i can only believe is 5th gear. after first gear there is very little acceleration and the odometer does not go past 3k while accelerating, it feels like im crawling. Keep in mind first gear is fine i can accelerate normally in 1st but come the next shift there's just.............. nothing. Matted the car accelerates barely. Anyone have any ideas?
joatmon

Re: Grenaded Transmission? Blown Torque Converter?

Post by joatmon »

Well, that sucks

The only time I had a torque converter fail was back in '78, it behaved like a slipping clutch, but that was 30 years of engineering before your Vibe.

Have you tried hitting the O/D off button, or perhaps shifting from D down to 2?

The bad news is I'm inclined to suspect that you probably need a new tranny. The good news is that they have been generally very reliable, and are used in a number of Toyotas, so it should be easy to find a good used one at a junkyard

But it might be worth taking it somewhere for a free estimate, not that you have to have them do the repair, but sometimes its nice to get a "professional" opinion, as long as you remember they'll be biased to recommend the most profitable repair