Gas pedal issues

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Frosty78

Gas pedal issues

Post by Frosty78 »

Hi guys. My wife drives an 05 vibe base model. I don't drive it much, but the last few times I have I noticed that randomly, on take off, when I pushed the gas, nothing would happen, just for a split second, just long enough to notice that something was not right. I've googled this and searched several forums with no luck. It doesn't have a check engine light associated with this and it's totally random. Thanks.
MacGyver

Re: Gas pedal issues

Post by MacGyver »

2005-2010 Vibes have a drive-by-wire system, where there is no throttle cable, and the gas pedal is just an electronic switch that sends a signal to the engine. I suppose it could be failing, or there could be a loose wire or connector somewhere. Or it could be something else completely. Did this car have the ECU recall done? viewtopic.php?t=36054

Note: There was a huge kafuffle about the pedal years ago called "unintended acceleration" where some accused Toyota of covering up defects with these pedals, however in the end nothing was proven. Later model cars got a recall for a retrofit that would kill the engine if the brake and gas were applied at the same time, but this only applied to the 2009 and 2010 model years.
2009 Vibe Base
Frosty78

Post by Frosty78 »

On the topic of the unintended acceleration, we haven't had any issues with that, but I do remember the stink about that. I'm not sure about the ecm recall, we are the second owners. I assumed it was likely a tps issue considering the cars age and mileage, but thought I'd try to see if this was a common issue before I started throwing money at it. Thanks for the info.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I would treat this as hesitation: spark plugs, air filter, clean MAF sensor, clean throttle body, check vacuum leaks in particular the intake manifold gasket. check PCV valve. If there is oil in the PCV line your intake manifold gasket is likely shot.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Frosty78

Post by Frosty78 »

vibrologist wrote:I would treat this as hesitation: spark plugs, air filter, clean MAF sensor, clean throttle body, check vacuum leaks in particular the intake manifold gasket. check PCV valve. If there is oil in the PCV line your intake manifold gasket is likely shot.
Ok, I will do that. It never occurred to me that it could be hesitation because the engine never had any noticeable issues, but I will definitely get those taken care of. Thank you.