Electronic Traction control issue?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Zippy

Electronic Traction control issue?

Post by Zippy »

Hi. I'm new to this Vibe community although I have bkeen here several times. Thanks for all the help! Zippy is our 09 Vibe with 108000 miles. After removing the intermediate steering shaft and replacing it, upon acceleration the trac control light flashes and alarms while it seems the front wheels bog down and make a grinding noise. Any clues as to the problem? My moms Chrysler did the same thing when I tried to drive it with a donut spare on the front. Thanks! :D
tpollauf

Re: Electronic Traction control issue?

Post by tpollauf »

Zippy wrote: After removing the intermediate steering shaft and replacing it,
Can't help you with the original question BUT real curious (as others here will be also) as to why you replaced the shaft on the column? Several of us 2009+ owners have the steering column rattle and just have to live with it. Was this the case with yours? If so open up another thread explaining everything as we all may end up doing this to our 2009+ vibes in the near future and your experience could help us all out. Also introduce yourself and post pics of your Vibe. We're very friendly around here ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Thanks for the reply. Not sure where to post what yet so I re-posted this in the 'lounge'. The rattle makes me crazy! I found where it's coming from although I don't what it's called. I think it's the Electric Power Steering supply. The first thing after the steering wheel that the intermediate shaft is connected to. I'll post a picture of Zippy when I figure out how! :D
jolt

Post by jolt »

Just a guess from what you had apart that the "Steering Angle Sensor " is way off, so that the computer for it is going crazy because of values that it can not deal with. Does the power steering work as it did? If this is the case, this is a very BIG safety hazard. I have never worked on a car's electronic power steering so I do not know but the angle sensor is in the column.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Thank you for your reply. The power steering works fin. no steering issues. It seems to be more in the transmission. Alarm starts beeping traction control light flashes and wheels don't lock up but there is a gear grinding sound. All I messed with was the steering shaft. Could I have messed up something?
jolt

Post by jolt »

If you get the steering shaft one spline off from where it was or replace the shaft with a different one, that will mess up the sensor.

As you turn the steering wheel the outer wheel has the spin faster to keep up. If the sensor is telling it that you have the steering wheel cranked, but you are going straight ahead, the car is saying that the wheels can not be the same speed because the sensor said you have the wheels turned, so it must be slipping....turn on the traction control. The traction control just kills the engine speed until both wheels are turning the proper speed for the steering input. This is just a guess of try to work with what you said you had apart.

The grinding noise, I don't know. I can not hear it but could it be the power steering booster motor?
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

jolt wrote:If you get the steering shaft one spline off from where it was or replace the shaft with a different one, that will mess up the sensor.

As you turn the steering wheel the outer wheel has the spin faster to keep up. If the sensor is telling it that you have the steering wheel cranked, but you are going straight ahead, the car is saying that the wheels can not be the same speed because the sensor said you have the wheels turned, so it must be slipping....turn on the traction control. The traction control just kills the engine speed until both wheels are turning the proper speed for the steering input. This is just a guess of try to work with what you said you had apart.

The grinding noise, I don't know. I can not hear it but could it be the power steering booster motor?

I agree. The steering angle sensor needs to be calibrated. The grinding noise youre hearing is probably the abs activating.