2006 vibe rotational noise

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
campb292

2006 vibe rotational noise

Post by campb292 »

My 06 Vibe now has 225,000 on it. Other than this noise the car has been doing great. Today after getting an oil change and tire rotation it started a strange rotational noise when slowing down. It seems to do it after the last downshift as I crawl to a stop. It is rotational, meaning it is faster than slows in frequency as I come to a full stop. It sounds like a quick cow moo. I checked the tranny fluid, which was changed 20k ago and it is pink and not very dark and right at the correct level. The oil is also clean and right where it should be.

Any tips as to what I should do to isolate the cause? For the sake of it, I simulated the noise with my phone since a cow mooing is lame.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp6vqkkylft3u ... d.m4a?dl=0

edit - actual recording posted later in thread (much better than my simulated noise)
Last edited by campb292 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
vibrologist

Re: 2006 vibe rotational moooing noise

Post by vibrologist »

Hi
I can't access this recording so I comment on the idea that this is rotational noise that is audible as you slow down, most likely applying the brakes. the first place to look are the wheel bearings. See if braking or not braking makes a difference. I once had a car where a failing wheel bearing only made noise under braking.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Its funny..........when I first read your title, I assumed it was the same "mooing" noise I used to get with my first gen Vibe. When I would come to a complete stop, occasionally there would be a rising noise (inaudible if you had the radio on) that would get higher and higher in pitch, almost as if it were a mooing noise. It would end after 5 seconds with a click. Again, it would only happen when sitting at a stop light/sign. It was definitely coming from the engine, as if something was being recharged until the next time. When I listed to your audio file, it sounded more like a gag recording of you mooing into the recorder, not something mechanical.
campb292

Post by campb292 »

vibrologist wrote:Hi
I can't access this recording so I comment on the idea that this is rotational noise that is audible as you slow down, most likely applying the brakes. the first place to look are the wheel bearings. See if braking or not braking makes a difference. I once had a car where a failing wheel bearing only made noise under braking.
I'll check out the bearings. Thank you for the suggestion.
campb292

Post by campb292 »

Caretaker wrote:When I listed to your audio file, it sounded more like a gag recording of you mooing into the recorder, not something mechanical.
It IS me mooing. I was driving yesterday and told my wife to use her phone to record the sound. The recording didn't work out so I tried "simulating" the noise. That recording is actually pretty close. And yes, I accept the shame and ridicule one should receive for attempting this.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Ha, ha......as C. Montgomery Burns would say: "E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T"
I think you should have concluded the audio with "eat mor chikin"
campb292

Post by campb292 »

Today I spent about 90 minutes driving it around. The noise is not occurring as frequently as it did yesterday. First, it didn't occur until the car was warm (after 3 miles and two stops). The noise is occurring on some stops, not all and to a lesser degree. It still seems rotational, as in it does it at a specific point in the wheel rotation. It also makes the noise if I shift into neutral then come to a stop. I checked lug torque then jacked it up and did the ole 12-6 test for bearing play. It seems rock solid - no wiggle or noise.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Now you narrowed it down to something regarding the wheels/ hubs/ drive shafts. Check if the brakes are dragging a little. Sticky sliders in the calipers could cause that.
I still would not exclude the wheel bearings. They may just be dry as of now and get play later.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

campb292

Post by campb292 »

vibrologist wrote:Check if the brakes are dragging a little. Sticky sliders in the calipers could cause that.
After using my 90 minute free time this morning to troubleshoot this further, I am thinking calipers might be it. I drove around for about 30 minutes and the noise has lessened even more today, to the point I don't think a mechanic would even hear it. It was raining out so not a great day for it as rain tends to make my rattly vibe sound much better. I took tires back off to take a more thorough look at things and to get a better look at the cv boot condition, all intact and no grease anywhere. Struts seem ok. Check the bearings again while warm and still no play or noise.

Considering the noise only occurs while braking, and it occurs(ed) even in neutral, I am thinking about lubing up those caliper pins tomorrow if my wife allows time. Maybe she will even help... what a nice little saturday morning. Maybe we can go to Bed Bath and Beyond if we have enough time after.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Bed Bath and Beyond
that should work as a bribe! :lol:
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

campb292

Post by campb292 »

Slide pins got greased, no change. The noise has been changing some as time passes. Now it is more of a "seal barking noise" but definitely sounds like rubbing. I finally got a real audio recording to come out right instead of my simulation garbage. Please see what you think of this recording. It is recorded as a slow from about 60mph and the noise starts as I am about 30mph and under.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m08b2xhjzx5p6 ... 1.mp3?dl=0
campb292

Post by campb292 »

Experimented further, I am starting to think it is one of the front hub assemblies as was also suggested here. It still only makes the noise when warm and seems to occur more when the front end dips slightly during moderate braking. I can release the brake and the noise stops then push it down and it starts. The bummer is the car doesn't really make the noise for about 5 minutes when starting to drive. Wheel bearing/hubs are out of my limited area and it will probably have to go to the shop for evaluation. I am not really ready to give up on her just yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m08b2xhjzx5p6 ... 1.mp3?dl=0
campb292

Re: 2006 vibe rotational noise

Post by campb292 »

Made an appointment for Monday. Messing with it further, I tried warming it up then launching in manual first. I shifted to manual 2nd then got to about 35, then rolled back to 15 and downshifted to manual 1st. Never hit the brake, never heard the noise. It seems to only make the noise if I push the brake. Anyway, thanks for ideas. If you have any other thoughts about the final real recording let me know before monday. :geek:
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

Does the noise seem to come and go as you make gentle "S" type turns at around 35 -40 mph ?

Another, BUT ONLY if you are comfortable with doing it safely ! One can jack up the front end. With wheels off of the ground grasp a spring coil above the wheel while someone else puts the car in gear so that tires are slowly spinning. Any vibration felt in spring on either side ?
2005 Base - 220k
campb292

Post by campb292 »

Thank you for the reply.
Jbenrod wrote:Does the noise seem to come and go as you make gentle "S" type turns at around 35 -40 mph ?
It does not make the noise at all over 30, it only occurs with the brake applied while slowing.
Jbenrod wrote:Another, BUT ONLY if you are comfortable with doing it safely ! One can jack up the front end. With wheels off of the ground grasp a spring coil above the wheel while someone else puts the car in gear so that tires are slowly spinning. Any vibration felt in spring on either side ?
That one is more tough, I have the jack stands but won't have another willing party this weekend. I hadn't really considered something related to springs or struts, each were replaced about 60K ago. I have bounced and pulled on the springs to feel for movement, but nothing seemed amiss. Are you suggesting a possible loose or maybe micro-cracked coil spring?
campb292

Post by campb292 »

Got car back, didn't get fixed. I use a local independent shop mechanic that usually gets anything but it didn't work out. He said he heard the noise right away, thought for sure it was a clip dragging but nothing looked wrong. He took off the rotors, tried turning but they weren;t warped at all, took off pads and put back on, checked calipers and he said they moved perfectly. He said "the other stuff looks fine" and told me to turn up the radio until it gets worse then bring it back. He didn't hear any bearing noise. One thing I didn't mention was the coil springs so not sure he look those over. I guess that is that until it gets worse or other symptoms start.
kaz03GT

Post by kaz03GT »

Can you hear the noise better windows up or down? Does it sound like it is coming from the wheel well area or the engine bay area?
campb292

Post by campb292 »

Sorry for delay. I can hear it more clearly with the window down. I have also learned I can finesse the noise by braking to almost 15 mph then releasing and then doing the final pedal push down (no noise that way). If I just maintain light-mod pressure I hear the noise most of the time once the car is warm and under 25 mph. What bothers me is the inconsistency of it. 25% of the time it just doesn't do it at all.
campb292

Post by campb292 »

New symptoms have started. I have started noticing a lot of thunk and clunk shifting from D to R and there are wild vibrations on the passenger side of the car especially when cold. Mount? Would it be possible the squeak I posted earlier in this thread is actually a result of engine movement as I come to a stop? Like something metal/metal rubs?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Yes. I would check the engine and transmission mounts.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

campb292

Post by campb292 »

This week's update: I had two new mounts put on. The passenger side mount and rear mount. Had both done for $520 which seems reasonable since that work is definitely out of my wheelhouse. The good news is the work was great. I compare the repair to be on par with new struts/springs - like a new car. There is so much less vibration on acceleration and the passenger side instrument panel and door vibration noises are gone. It even shifts between D/R with 75% less clunk. The bad news is the stupid rotational squeak is unchanged and still there.

The rear drums have been cleaned and lube with no change.

I think I am on to front hub assemblies since these have over 200k on them. I have noticed through all this the lugs are always quite hot when taking things apart. They aren't so hot it burns but they are hot enough to peak interest. I need to compare the lug heat to the rotor heat. If lugs are hotter than the rotor wouldn't that be another indicator of bearing wear?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

If lugs are hotter than the rotor wouldn't that be another indicator of bearing wear?
I think so.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe