2004 Vibe stalling at random

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
jdub_74

2004 Vibe stalling at random

Post by jdub_74 »

Hey all,

I haven't posted here in a long time but everyone here was very helpful when I was posting. Now I have a big problem. My 2004 Vibe base model started stalling at random two days ago. The first time I was just about to turn into my driveway (lucky that) and suddenly I had no power steering then I saw the oil light come on. I put it in neutral and it started right back up and seemed fine. I was in a hurry so didn't put too much thought into it and went about my night. The next morning I made my nearly 40 mile drive to work without issue. On the way home driving on the highway I was cruising along at 70 MPH and suddenly I started decelerating. I hit the gas and it sounded like it was trying to rev but bogged down so much it couldn't even raise the RPMs, then the oil light came on. The radio and all but the engine and power steering was working fine. While coasting towards the side of the highway with my hazards on I put it in neutral and turned the key. It fired right back up and got me the remaining 15 miles home without issue. I drove it to work again this morning with no issues but I'm scared of this happening again. It could be bad. I plan to stop and pick up some fuel system cleaner on my way home just in case of a bad gas issue or the like but I have a bad feeling it's not going to be that simple...

After a little Googling it sounds like maybe the ECM/PCM issue but the recall only covers 2005-2008 and I can't afford an expensive repair. I'm almost certain I got the recall letter but I don't have it anymore and the GM dealership says they don't have it listed under my vin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT: A friend of mine at work has a plug-in scanner which I ran. It turned up no diagnostic codes... :cry:
Caretaker

Re: 2004 Vibe stalling at random

Post by Caretaker »

From my experience 2 years ago, and reading other threads, my guess is that the alternator is failing. My car simply died. Once the copper inside the alternator cooled down, I was able to drive the car for up to 20 miles without incident. No shop wanted to believe me when it happened because all their instruments showed that the battery and alternator were functioning properly. One I replaced it, all was well again. When it first failed at the gas station, I had to jump start it just to get across the street to a service station. My electric steering (second generation Vibe) did not work the entire trip over, which is a little different from your story. I just thought I'd throw this out for consideration.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

jdub_74 wrote:After a little Googling it sounds like maybe the ECM/PCM issue but the recall only covers 2005-2008
Just to be accurate, the PCM recall was certain 2005-2008 Vibes. The ECM recall was certain 2003-2004 Vibes.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
jdub_74

Post by jdub_74 »

ehoff121 wrote:
jdub_74 wrote:After a little Googling it sounds like maybe the ECM/PCM issue but the recall only covers 2005-2008
Just to be accurate, the PCM recall was certain 2005-2008 Vibes. The ECM recall was certain 2003-2004 Vibes.
Ah. Didn't know the difference. Thank you. I remember specifically in my letter that they mentioned the ECM needing to be replaced but now the dealer says they have no recall for my car so unless I can find that old letter it may be my word against theirs...
jdub_74

Post by jdub_74 »

So I picked up a bottle of fuel system cleaner, poured it in and and topped off my tank with premium just to rule out any possibility of water in the fuel or something easy. So far it's been running great. Drove it home Wednesday with no issue. Thursday I didn't go into the office but a 12 mile trip into town and back went fine. Driving into work (roughly 40 miles) today all was well. Could I be so lucky that it was just bad gas? I pray that's the case but I suppose only time will tell. Hopefully I can make it home tonight without incident...
jdub_74

Post by jdub_74 »

So I have a huge Vibe issue today and just realized I never posted the outcome of the stalling problem. After my last post the issue didn't show up again for a few months. Then it came back. Tired of messing with it I threw in the towel and took it to a local dealership that was a Pontiac dealer before they axed the brand. In my case the stalling issue was a bad ignition switch as well as the case around the steering column which was cracked so the switch was mounted to nothing. My car was at the dealership for nearly three weeks before they pinpointed the problem because it was so infrequent. Fortunately this dealership gives free loaners while they are doing any work on your vehicle. For the three weeks it took them to diagnose and fix the problem I drove a brand new 2107 GMC Yukon. The mileage was terrible of course but it was really a sweet ride. I can't buy one but it was fun to pretend...

Now, onto my BIG problem. I smoked the engine in my Vibe this morning. :(

I was driving to a meeting a bit behind schedule and was stuck behind a slow rolling school bus. Had to put the pedal to the metal to pass and while passing the RPMs kept rising but my acceleration didn't match... A mile later I came to a stop light. As I was slowing it started sputtering then making an ugly noise. The oil light came on and then it died. I was 100 feet from a corner store so I managed to get it started and into the parking lot and out of traffic. I had my wife come get me and I had it towed to a local repair shop I trust.

Unfortunately my worst fears were confirmed when I got the call that the noise I heard was a rod knock. I'm not sure what to do. I can't afford a new car or even a decent used car really. I'm going to create a new post here asking for advice but I wanted to mention it here too. My 2004 has roughly 115,000 miles and it's in OK condition but by no means prime. I remember reading about reasonable engine swaps early in my reading here when I bought my Vibe.

So...I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm in Michigan maybe 40 miles north of Detroit and I'm hoping to find a very reasonably priced replacement engine locally. I don't have long to make a decision. It is running again for now with fresh oil a new oil pressure sending unit and a Lucas additive in the hopes of buying me a little time. The oil pressure sending unit appears to have been the weak point that blew all the oil out of my engine. I saw it up on the hoist and you could see fresh oil streaked in a two foot wide swath from the engine right to the back of the vehicle.

It now starts and idles fine and I gently drove it the 2 miles home without issue but if I don't take it easy on the throttle I hear the rod knock so I'm on borrowed time. I may have to try to drive it to work tomorrow but I don't know if I will make it there and back. I may have a bit of time driving gently but not much I fear.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.