No crank... Sometimes

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
wiiman3893

No crank... Sometimes

Post by wiiman3893 »

Here's a puzzler for me.

My 03 vibe base model 5 speed manual has been having a problem cranking every few times I try it. When it cranks it runs like a champs, but for the past few days I'll turn the key a few and the dash lights go out and the starter relay clicks just like it wants to start, but nothing happens. After hitting the clutch a few times it starts and has no more issues.

My first thought was the clutch sensor. I tried jumping it as a test and the car still did this. I also double checked the sensor on my multimeter and it's working. So where should I go from here?

Ignition cylinder?

Poor ground?

Anyone with similar problems?
Zimm

Re: No crank... Sometimes

Post by Zimm »

my 10' had similar issues and it was a loose main ground wire from the negative terminal to the frame. the way to test this is by putting a jumper cable on the negative terminal and one to the engine block. if it starts, that's your problem.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Owim

Post by Owim »

I had a similar problem in my 03 ford taurus. I don't remember which but one of the wires hooked up to the battery had rusted and had a bad connection so sometimes if the wire wasn't just right it acted like I had a completely dead battery, wouldn't jump or anything. I wiggled the wires and it started right up. My mechanic fixed it pretty cheap.
2009 2.4 AWD
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Poor electrical connection preventing the starter from receiving sufficient current to turn the engine. Check the positive cable all the way to the starter for damage and corrosion. Check the starter main terminal. Check the entire negative cable, including the one connecting to the motor. Can't remember if that one runs from the negative terminal to the transmission, or from the chassis to the transmission.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Maybe I'm missing something 'cause I have an automatic, but how old is the battery? Did you test it for charge? Is the alternator charging it?

Turning the key and hearing clicking and seeing lights dim could be a weak battery, especially in cold weather.

Is there any difference between 'running like a champ' and 'clicking & blinking' in the amount of time the car sits idle? For example, you get the car started, drive for longer than 10 minutes, stop the engine, then start it after an hour or so versus starting up after sitting overnight.

Also, how long is the engine running between trips? Short trips don't give the alternator a lot of time to recharge the battery, especially when the heat/A/C is running full blast with the lights and radio on...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum