Starter went out

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
korax234

Starter went out

Post by korax234 »

My 2003 Vibe GT starter went out this morning. Got ready to go to work, went to start the car it cranked then stalled.
Went to try and restart and the started spins but the bendix isn't engaging the flywheel. So I will be doing another how-to video
tonight on how to replace your starter and explaining how it work. It's funny how a car with 78k miles has these issues but it's probably
since it's 13 years old lol.
korax234

Re: Starter went out

Post by korax234 »

Ok so I picked up a starter then took my son trick or treating. Then started to mess with the car....well It turns out my fuel pump isn't coming on. So when I get time tomorrow I will see if I am getting any power back their. This sucks oh well.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I changed my starter at around 150k when the car was 7 years. I kept a wrench in the car to knock on the starter before I finally replaced it.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
jolt

Post by jolt »

If the motor does not spin over fast enough, the ECU will not send power to the fuel pump relay. This is a safety feature. If the car got into a wreck the fuel pump would not be pumping gas out if a fuel line was broken in the wreck.
korax234

Post by korax234 »

My new fuel pump is coming in today. So after work I will get it installed. I checked for power at the pump and I am getting 12 volts to it.
But it doesn't even attempt to come on. And the engine is spinning fast enough because if you crank and crank it starts for 1/2 second and shuts off.
I will post the video tomorrow on changing the pump out.
jolt

Post by jolt »

FUEL PUMP
(a) Inspect fuel pump resistance.
Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the terminals. Resistance: 0.2 – 3.0 Ω at 20C (68F)
(b)
Inspect fuel pump operation
Apply battery voltage to both terminals. Check that the pump operates.
NOTICE:
These tests must be done quickly (within 10 seconds) to prevent the coil from burning out.
Keep fuel pump as far away from the battery as possible.
Always do the switching at the battery side.
korax234

Post by korax234 »

jolt wrote:FUEL PUMP
(a) Inspect fuel pump resistance.
Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the terminals. Resistance: 0.2 – 3.0 Ω at 20C (68F)
(b)
Inspect fuel pump operation
Apply battery voltage to both terminals. Check that the pump operates.
NOTICE:
These tests must be done quickly (within 10 seconds) to prevent the coil from burning out.
Keep fuel pump as far away from the battery as possible.
Always do the switching at the battery side.
This is great info jolt.
But it was just a bad pump I replaced it and the car runs again :D
Here is the video on how to change it. https://youtu.be/1YvPYTgKAIs
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

That seems a bit unusual for the FP to go out under 100k miles.

I take it you got no warning signs like stumbling or poor acceleration in the days before it died?

Enjoyed your FP video - thanks for the link. I was surprised to see a bunch of screws that hold the pump assembly in place.
2005 Base - 220k
korax234

Post by korax234 »

Jbenrod wrote:That seems a bit unusual for the FP to go out under 100k miles.

I take it you got no warning signs like stumbling or poor acceleration in the days before it died?

Enjoyed your FP video - thanks for the link. I was surprised to see a bunch of screws that hold the pump assembly in place.
Nope no signs the FP was going out at all. All though now it does seem too run a bit smoother. It didn't seem terrible before but sometimes
if it hit lift it just seemed weak. Now lift hits harder. So i'm guessing the FP was weak but in just normal driving it was barely adequate so I never really thought it was going bad.

The pumps life was probably shortened do to the fact the previous owner drove it 4k miles in like 3 years so the gas was always bad in the tank. It ran crappy on the test drive. Bought the car drove 2 miles to the gas station filled it up and it ran a million times better. So maybe the bad gas gummed up the pump a little over time?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

korax234 wrote:The pumps life was probably shortened do to the fact the previous owner drove it 4k miles in like 3 years so the gas was always bad in the tank. It ran crappy on the test drive. Bought the car drove 2 miles to the gas station filled it up and it ran a million times better. So maybe the bad gas gummed up the pump a little over time?
Probably didn't help it out, and may have corroded its internals etc.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
korax234

Post by korax234 »

lannvouivre wrote:
korax234 wrote:The pumps life was probably shortened do to the fact the previous owner drove it 4k miles in like 3 years so the gas was always bad in the tank. It ran crappy on the test drive. Bought the car drove 2 miles to the gas station filled it up and it ran a million times better. So maybe the bad gas gummed up the pump a little over time?
Probably didn't help it out, and may have corroded its internals etc.
Everything looked pretty clean actually. I think maybe the gas would get stale when he drove it and it just put extra stain on the pump maybe.