#14139 SIR coil assembly recall

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
WMBigs

#14139 SIR coil assembly recall

Post by WMBigs »

Hi all,
I'm a little PO'd at the moment. We have a 2010 Vibe AWD and had the recall for the sir coil spring performed. Before the car went in, the steering wheel was perfectly level when driving straight. Now it is counter-clockwise from where it used to be. I am guessing one tooth on the spline. My concern is most steering column splines have a master spline. Which means the steering wheel can only go on one way with out using undue force with the steering wheel nut to get the wheel tight. I used to work with a guy that would level the steering wheel this way, he was a hammer head. So can anyone tell me if the column has a master spline? I did not see an obvious way of getting the airbag out of the steering wheel to get to the nut, anyone able to help out there??
Thank you, thank you, MikeB
And my wife was concened about someone else working on the car. Usually I am the only one to do any work on our vehicles.
jolt

Re: #14139 SIR coil assembly recall

Post by jolt »

I know what you mean. They screwed up up my tabs on my column cover and one side fell apart two days later. Luckily I was able to bend the tabs back without breaking them and get the cover snapped back together.

I do not know about an index tab on the shaft for the Vibe. Here is what is in the factory service manual for the steering removal.

4. Remove the steering wheel nut.
5. Put match marks (1) on the steering wheel assembly and on the steering main shaft.
6. Disconnect the connectors from the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) coil.

From that, I would say that there is no indexing spline.

I do know that the following is in the recall;

"Note: DO NOT break off the lock pin until the steering wheel is installed.
Otherwise, the center position of a new spiral cable will be misaligned.
Ensure the pin is flush with the housing after it is snapped off."

So, it looks like just moving the wheel could un-center the clock spring. I would get a copy of the GM service bulletin #14139 that has the "SERVICE PROCEDURE" that was to be followed and take the car back to the dealer that did the work and make them fix it. Be sure to point out to the customer service writer the last section of the recall bulletin about questions. If the dealer does not fix the issue then call GM at the number listed in the last section of the recall and complain about how the dealer did not perform the repair properly and the car is even more unsafe to drive because the steering wheel is not re-installed properly. If you can not find the service bulletin, I can upload it and leave a link here for you.

I just seen that you have the number in your title here so you must have the bulletin already.
WMBigs

Re: #14139 SIR coil assembly recall

Post by WMBigs »

Thanks Jolt, I will let them know it is not right, but I may try do do it myself. I had installed new clocksprings in the Chrylser products, keeping it centered is not a problem.
Thanks again, MikeB