Frame and Clutch issues?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
DavidPIL

Frame and Clutch issues?

Post by DavidPIL »

Several questions here -

1. About 4 years ago I had my clutch changed to a Brute clutch. This was not my first choice in a clutch but I was limited to places where I could go. Had this done at an AAMCO.

Shortly after, I noticed a tick sound when stopping/changing directions. It only happened every so often. Sounds like if you were to tap the edge of a quarter on a pane of glass.

Here in the past few weeks, it's come more frequently, happening more when braking after backing out of a parking space or my garage but once it actually ticked 3 times. Nothing felt like it slipped though - just a noise, no weird feels.

Anyone experience this after changing a clutch? I've checked to see if maybe some undercarriage bolts were loose. A few bolts that I could get to - The engine mount bolts on the cross member weren't torqued right and though I'm not sure these would have had to be loosened or removed, now I'm a bit concerned about other loose bolts.

2. About that Clutch - I asked if this was a complete kit. They said yes... But now, and maybe related to the issue above, a few times it seems the clutch is slow to re-engage after the pedal is released. Once, pulling out of a slight incline in 2nd gear (I didn't come to a complete stop to shift into 1st but did have the clutch pressed), in a fairly spirited acceleration, the clutch didn't fully engage till I eased off the accelerator. I've noticed on several other occasions before this time where it seemed the clutch was slow to engage. Would slip slightly then all of a sudden grip. Does this sound like the Throw Out Bearing going out or a spring or something attached to the fork?

I just passed 276000 miles and I'm not sure I want to put another $900 or more into a clutch. Any advice on these or any cheap fixes that anyone else has done?

Help!

Dave
jolt

Re: Frame and Clutch issues?

Post by jolt »

My thoughts on the ticking noise is a bad CV joint on one of the front drive axles. On the slow clutch release, and I do not know on the Vibe as I have an AT, but every manual transmission I have seen have a return spring on the fork. If it is not that then I would say something with the hydraulic clutch is gummed up or bad; either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder may be sticking.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

DavidPIL wrote:Had this done at an AAMCO.
I'm afraid that's the root of the problem.
Never go there again, even to ask directions!
All Automatics Must Come Out.
Many years ago (when I was young and ignorant) I took my manual Civic to AAMCO for a clutch.
They convinced me the transmission needed a rebuild. Much more $$ than I'd hoped for: 2/3 the value of the car.
When I started it to drive away it jumped from neutral into gear by itself.
Turns out they put 90W gear oil in instead of the spec'd 10W-40.
They also tore the CV boots.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
kaz03GT

Post by kaz03GT »

Hey Dave, just wondering if you ever found out your problem with the clutch? Kind of sounds like the flywheel was not resurfaced or replaced, Clutch may have not been broken in well enough causing it to have glazed, too weak of a clutch was put in and it wont hold the power at low rpm WOT( would also repeat slippage at high rpm WOT), the pressure plate is weaker than the factory one(would not be able to hold clutch to the flywheel at WOT but would be fine under light engine load situations).