Driver's air bag. Why no Recall?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
bikes1

Driver's air bag. Why no Recall?

Post by bikes1 »

I had my passenger air bag one done last year, no problems and it just occurred to me that I've never heard anything about driver's air bags. Anyone know if they came from another manufacturer or is it that Toyota doesn't really care about us drivers? (grin)
jayoldschool

Re: Driver's air bag. Why no Recall?

Post by jayoldschool »

Run your VIN on the safecar site, some driver's bags/parts have been recalled three times.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The driver's inflator probably wasn't made by Takata. Apparently it's not uncommon for a manufacturer to use multiple suppliers for the various inflators they need on a vehicle.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'm looking at my Safety Recall letter from GM dated July 2016. This is for the passenger side Takata airbag. Recall # 15826. Has anyone besides me NOT gotten their airbag replaced? I went a few months ago and the dealer kinda blew me off. Is GM still "assessing" whether their models are afflicted by the Takata recall?
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Same answer as I posted above. Run your VIN to check for recalls.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

why would I need to run my VIN when I am holding a letter from GM in my hand?
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Because there will be recall info on the website BEFORE you get a letter. You don't have to run your VIN, do whatever you like.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Caretaker, GM is not doing this out of their concern over your safety. It is the liability that GM has if someone gets injured because of known defective parts. This is costing GM a lot of money but when they look at the bottom line, it is cheaper to replace the air bags and reduce or remove the liability. For GM it is about saving money. By not having your air bag replaced and stating that you have the letter, you are saving GM money. They no longer have to worry about the liability costs if someone gets injured in your car because of the air bag. You now assume all liability because you received notice (the letter) and you choose to not have the air bag changed.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

thanks. Hopefully someone will post with an answer to my question.
Ondersma80

Post by Ondersma80 »

Caretaker wrote:thanks. Hopefully someone will post with an answer to my question.
It is difficult to determine what the question is since I see all questions answered. This stage of the process is explained in the letter - they are either determining a resolution, waiting for parts and will send a 2nd notification, or it is a notice of recall saying make an appointment. It seems you do not understand the letter so feel free to scan it and post.

If you have a letter, have made an appointment and the dealer would not perform work, then follow the advice previously given rather than ask "why". Go to nhtsa.gov, search your VIN, then read the documentation. There are copies of all communication - owner, dealer, and internal. This will help you determine the stage of the process and if the work should be performed by a dealer.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Caretaker wrote:I'm looking at my Safety Recall letter from GM dated July 2016. This is for the passenger side Takata airbag. Recall # 15826. Has anyone besides me NOT gotten their airbag replaced?

I got the recall done on my cars, so I can't say if anyone else didn't get it done, but I;d think there are others who haven't. I had taken my car in for the first recall, the one for unexpected deployment when another one came out, for shrapnel so I took it back in. It may not cost any money, but it does take time to take a day off and sit around a dealership's service department.
Caretaker wrote:I went a few months ago and the dealer kinda blew me off. Is GM still "assessing" whether their models are afflicted by the Takata recall?
The first time, I called the dealership, and they had to order the parts, they called me back when the parts were in and then I made an appointment, and took the car in then. The second time I called them, they already had the parts and I made and kept an appointment.

Dealt with Toyota dealership for my matrix, similar process, called , they said they had the parts, scheduled an appointment. They had said they had all the parts, turns out I had to wait an extra 4 hours while they had something driven in that was needed that they did not in fact have in stock, but at least I was able to get it all done in one day. Can't get Toyota to do recall on a Pontiac, so it doesn't really apply, other than it reinforces my attitude that recalls may be free, but they are a hassle.

Dealerships I've dealt with haven't ever been resistant to do recall work. Its free to the customer, but GM pays the dealership to do the work, so the dealership isn't losing any money on the task.

I think that the consequences of the safety issues supposedly remedied by the recall are serious enough that I strongly recommend getting it taken care of. Call the dealership, verify they have the parts for your VIN, schedule an appointment.

Given your first try, you might want to look for a different dealership. If one won't do the work, report them to GM corporate and try another. It was probably a misunderstanding of some sort, and not a generic left coast vs delta quadrant level of service kind of thing

Also, when taking a car to a dealership, whether for a recall, or warranty work, or any kind of service, expect them to give you a list of all the things wrong with your car that will need expensive additional service to remedy. Its tempting to just get it all done since you already have your car there, but resist. Resistance is not futile. Most offensive on one list I got was $75 to replace a headlight bulb. Justifiable given their costs and burdened labor costs, but I'm not gonna pay $75 to have a Vibe headlight bulb changed. (Anybody needs a bulb changed, bring the car to me, I'll do it for half of dealership rates!) When they give you a list, decide what work actually needs to be done, and from that subset, decide what to do yourself, and then shop around for the rest .