BRAKE ROTORS ODD WEAR since the beginning

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
jasonvibe

BRAKE ROTORS ODD WEAR since the beginning

Post by jasonvibe »

I bought this Vibe new. Every 45k the pads are just over 1/2 worn . Which you think is great. But the inner pad closest to the piston on the driver side especially is not contacting the rotor completely. It's viewable -At least 1/2 inch or more from the outer edge and a bit from the inner edge, this is when comparing to the passenger rotor. Then rust starts building and the pads is shot. Imagine a 1/2 inch rust ring all around the outer edge of the inner side of rotor. I have included 1 pic of the worst , my other pics the format is too big for this. Thus every 45k is a complete brake job w/ceramic pads and new rotors. I take my time, 2 hours per side. I use plenty of the silicone grease, Sil-glyde @ the slider pins after gentle cleaning, putting it in the bore. The pins show no wear and what little I can see where the pins sit in bore, no wear. I do all my own work. I have just done my 3rd brake job @150k. I completely bleed the system and the pistons push back in easily. I think something was just machined wrong on the caliper bracket left side or something at the mount spindle area. Aftermarkets for calipers and brackets are always rebuilds and usually junk because they are neglected from someone else, then sand blasted and rust shortly after install. Brackets new they are $130 from Toyota, the plus seals must get ordered too. Any ideas or experiences appreciated... :?: :?:
Attachments
left inner view
left inner view
left rotor IMG_0172 (2).JPG (115.29 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
vibrologist

Re: BRAKE ROTORS ODD WEAR since the beginning

Post by vibrologist »

Did you take a picture of the other side of the rotor?
Use a photo editor, like paint and resize the pictures Until they are accepted. I just can't recall the size limit 125 kb maybe.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

THE other side is totally normal see below.... like other pics you may have seen. The issue is only on the piston side. The other side is a large fork design which is an effective "clamp" for the outside pad to get pressure all over. FYI- I measured the thickness latest removed rotors with a real micrometer ... = .970". They start out~ .990" These had about 50k on them. Ceramic pads are gentle on rotors and have no dust to speak of.
Attachments
good side IMG_0183.JPG
good side IMG_0183.JPG (109.14 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

This is a weird one. Borrowing a picture to show parts involved (and there arent that many :? ):

The pads should be almost to the edge on both sides when installed. The wear pattern on your rotor makes it look like the inner pad is too small, especially with the sharp edge on the "rust band". I'm not sure how it would be possible for the rotor to wear like that otherwise. Do you buy the pads as a set, all the same size?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Do the pads move freely inside the bracket or do you have to beat them in?
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

THE PADS starter all the same.... it's the rust from non-contact that eats the pads away. For some reason the pads after a while past 20k just are not touching at the top edge...then the edge closest to the wheel studs, then the rotor warps a bit because of the inner pad not contacting completely.. I am thinking the caliper because of the non wear issue of the slider pins. and maybe piston slightly hanging/sticking. Calipers are crap when rebuilt to start with. New they are a fortune....
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The wear pattern shows that the piston is compressing the pads against both sides of the rotor. I'm not sure how the inner pad, which is in direct contact with the piston, would make contact only with the middle 2" of the pad into the rotor and not the full pad.

Have you tried having someone apply the brake while the wheel is off and engine is on to see what happens to the pads against the rotors?

What brand of pads are you using?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Derf

Post by Derf »

Do you have a picture of the affected pad? Almost looks like something was trapped on the pad causing uneven wear. Occurring multiple times on the same side with roughly the same pattern is odd.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

All this oddness is on the left(drivers) side. Remember this started with the factory pads too and the original rotors warped and same wear pattern. I must say that I work from my home and my wife drives the car 99% of the time.Thus she does not notice things like some people unless it's a noise. I did not notice this till out of warranty @ 38k. Pads were only 1/2 worn. Basicaly repeats 36- 40k again. But the odd wear is noticed when I do oil change and can see the rotor@20k or less. The car does pull to the right some when just barely holding the steering wheel. Thus indicating the left brakes not as strong as right. I have used 2 different brands of pads. This is my 3rd complete brake job with this "day 1 issue". Yes I have removed the caliper to view it's action of piston and removed any minimal corrosion with steel wool from piston where it contacts pad area. Piston, it comes out when the pedal is pressed and I can push it back easily w/c-clamp. The pad on the non-piston side will always wear properly because it's being held with a WIDER CAST IRON PART OF THE Caliper ASSEMBLY. I honestly think the piston is "cocked" and not going perfectly straight. My thinking, the rust starts in less contact area and rust rises and damages the pads. Sorry no pics of pads because last set was wagners and they give you free replacements on your 2nd set. And they must get the old ones back...I forgot to take pics. I am likely replacing the caliper. But all rebuilds are junk from China or something. Slider pins and where they ride look perfect. Any idea beyond my thoughts are appreciated.