Replaced the battery, now having problems

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
SimplyRandom

Replaced the battery, now having problems

Post by SimplyRandom »

I'm not sure if this is in the right section of the forum, so please forgive me if it's not...

I have a 2007 Pontiac Vibe. I went out to start the car earlier today and it wouldn't start, it just make a rapid clicking noise. We got the battery boosted, and went to our local O'Reilly store to have them check to see if it was the battery or alternator. He hooked their machine up and said they were both showing they were good, and that I had probably left an interior light on and it had drained the battery. Since Advance Auto was right down the road, I wanted to take it and just make sure.
I was told there that their machine said to replace battery, So I bought a new battery and the guy at Advance Auto changed it for me.

The car started right up... but when I tried to put the car in reverse, the gear shift was locked and wouldn't move. Then I looked at the dash and saw that none of my dashboard lights were working. A guy came back out to check things over, checked fuses and all that, but he said everything was fine and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. On the right of the gearshift, he pried the cover up of the little round button (he said it was a manual override) and said that if I pushed that button when putting the car in reverse, it would work and that I wouldn't have a problem.

So I made it home, but I have no interior lights in the dash working, my headlights aren't working, my speedometer isn't moving, the clock will come on if I push the button, but the radio/cd player won't work, my locks won't automatically work when the car is put into reverse, and my windows won't go up/down now. I didn't have any of this happen before he put the new battery in.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen, or know what might be causing it? Or any ideas on what needs to be done to fix it?
ColonelPanic

Re: Replaced the battery, now having problems

Post by ColonelPanic »

I would guess a fuse or relay is bad. So many items you've mentioned need the ignition key to be on to function, so it may be the relay mentioned here for a similar problem: viewtopic.php?t=35694
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Owim

Post by Owim »

I'm no expert but my guess is a fuse, or maybe a bad battery connection
2009 2.4 AWD
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Is it possible the "numnuts" installed it reversed polarity initially then discovered it was wrong? Could do LOTS of damage if that was the case :o
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"