Oil/Transmission fluid problem

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Cdubww3

Oil/Transmission fluid problem

Post by Cdubww3 »

I'm going to try and keep this long story short and only give the necessary information. Last week I changed my oil in my 2005 pontiac vibe. I went with mobil 1 synthetic for the first time ever. Vehicle has approx 90k miles. Next day due to lack of time I paid a quick lube against my better judgment to replace my timing belt and tensioner. I noticed after driving vehicle it seemed a bit hesitant to accelerate. Few days after that the problem got worse. It started to rev and not move. I checked oil and the level seemed extremely high. Check tranny fluid and it was almost empty. I filled tranny fluid in order to drive to a place i could work on it. That seemed to solve the issue for the time being. I wanted to replace oil snd filter one more time due to the level being high for unknown reason. I did an oil change and noticed the oil that i drained had a reddish tint. Leading me to believe tranny fluid was in engine somehow? Whether it be sabotage by mechanic or just failure. I started car with fresh oil change and checked all fluids. After driving down the street my vibe began to sputter and shoot clouds of white smoke out of the tail pipe...i parked it and noticed watery black liquid coming out of the exhaust. Does anyone have ideas? I am stumped in desperate need of help. The coolant is full and the vehicle wasnt overheating.
MacGyver

Re: Oil/Transmission fluid problem

Post by MacGyver »

First thing, your Vibe doesn't have a timing belt. Do you mean serpentine belt? Definitely sounds like they filled tranny fluid maybe in the oil dipsrick. Lord what did that mechanic do!?!?! Tow your car to a real mechanic for an assessment and get a lawyer.
2009 Vibe Base
jolt

Post by jolt »

I stopped reading after "timing belt"......
Tmontague

Post by Tmontague »

any update to this?

to echo what others said, you likely mean drive/serpentine belt and tensioner were replaced.

Sounds like they put your trans oil in your engine on top of the oil being in there. Hence the issues with the engine revving as it would have ben run 3.5L short of trans fluid. those extra 3.5L were almost doubling the amount of oil in your engine which likely led to excess oil in the cylinders hence the smoke and somehow oil? or what ever it was coming out of your exhaust. Seems un likely but with that much extra fluid in your engine who knows.
The Fun: Toyota Vios '08 5spd m/t heavily modified
The Family whip: '05 Vibe AWD
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Word to the wise: don't even stop at those quick lube places to ask directions!
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Cdubww3

Post by Cdubww3 »

Sorry for the long repsonse. So they ended up drainung the trans fluid instead of oil during oil change and adding fresh oil on top of old oil which caused the smoking. Took awhile to burn some of that excess oil off after correctly adding new fluids.

Fast forward to now. P0420 code came up a few months ago. 02 sensors replaced. CAT. New spark plugs and ignition coils.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Cdubww3 wrote:Sorry for the long repsonse. So they ended up drainung the trans fluid instead of oil during oil change and adding fresh oil on top of old oil which caused the smoking. Took awhile to burn some of that excess oil off after correctly adding new fluids.

Fast forward to now. P0420 code came up a few months ago. 02 sensors replaced. CAT. New spark plugs and ignition coils.
I conclude that the excess oil back in October killed the CAT.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476