2009 Vibe GT starting issues

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
djan2000

2009 Vibe GT starting issues

Post by djan2000 »

Hello everyone,

We got a 2009 Vibe GT a couple weeks ago. It has 93,000 miles, no previous accidents, and was looked over by a local mechanic before purchase (no problems found). It has been running great overall. We have not done anything new or different to it since purchasing it.
For the first week or so, it started fast after only a couple engine cranks. A few days ago, it began having starting issues. Now, there seems to be two different scenarios...

-- turn the key, the engine cranks many times, will not start. Turn the key again, and it starts after a couple engine cranks.
-- turn the key, the engine cranks many times, and it finally starts after several seconds of cranking.

It has always eventually started, but is concerning, especially since either my wife or daughter drive it the most.
**Thinking...battery, starter, alternator, fuel pump, $$!!...**
We don't really need a repair bill right after purchasing it, but I need it to be dependable, especially with winter coming.

Any thoughts on how to proceed would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic
jolt

Re: 2009 Vibe GT starting issues

Post by jolt »

Does it do this all the time? Does it happen only if the car sits over night? Does the problem get worse the longer the car sits? Has it happen if you shut the car off and re-start it?

You might want to take it back to the local shop that inspected it for you and have them diagnose the problem.
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

It does not do it all of the time. It's intermittent, but seems to be gradually more frequent than it was a few days ago.

It is most common after the car sits for a while, but can vary.

I would say that the problem is worse the longer the car sits.

If the car is shut off, and then re-started again, it has always started right away.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Make sure the poles of the battery and the battery cables are clean and bolted on tight.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
jolt

Post by jolt »

This is a total guess but I would suspect a bad fuel pressure regulator - the check valve portion. If the check valve leaks, you have no fuel pressure when you try to start the engine so the engine does not start right away. This is a total guess at this point as way more testing would have to be done to know if this is the case.

Here is a link to check. It gives you the general idea of what I am referring to, what tools are needed, and what how to check it. The link is not for the Vibe but is general guide to a fuel system leak down testing.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/fuel-17.pdf

Note that the fuel pressure regulator on the Vibe is located in the gas tank on the fuel pump unit.
trb

Post by trb »

I agree with jolt. We had a minivan that did the same thing. It was the check valve. It would crank for probably 8-10 seconds in a cold start, but one 2-3 otherwise. Have the fuel pressure checked when it is cold, don't throw parts at it.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

I really appreciate everyone's replies. It does sound suspicious of what you are describing as being the problem. I read through the link of testing the check valve, and while I'm not afraid to dig into things and do some of my own repairs, I don't know if I'm completely comfortable doing this. Partly, because I don't have a couple of the tools/parts needed to test (maybe they can be loaned from a place like Autozone or O'Reilly's?) After doing the testing, if the check valve is bad, how difficult/expensive is the repair?
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

The Vibe will not start at all now. My wife used it to run errands during the day (it ran fine), and parked in the driveway. Tonight, when I turn the key...nothing, absolutely nothing happens. No click, no lights come on, it's like it's completely dead. I tried jumping it, and even after several minutes and a few attempts...nada, zilch. :cry:
The battery is 11 months old, and seemed to have plenty of power earlier in the evening. No lights were left on, etc. to drain the battery. And having it hooked up to my running Mercury Grand Marquis for several minutes, the Vibe did not produce even a teensy weensy amount of juice for a faint light to turn on, or a click when the key was turned.
I checked the battery cables and ground - they are all clean and tight. Nothing else seems amiss.
What a drag. And only three weeks after buying it. We really need this car to be running.
It's pouring rain now, so tomorrow I'll try swapping batteries, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll have it towed to a shop.
I sure hope it's an easy/quick/inexpensive fix, and not something more serious (i.e. computer, etc.)
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Learn your lesson for next time, take the car at the first sign of trouble to a shop while you still can under its own power. A problem isn't going to go away, isn't going to get cheaper to fix over time.

Batteries go bad. Alternators go bad. But without having even a simple multi-meter to check, you are just guessing.
2009 Vibe Base
jolt

Post by jolt »

Classic talking a problem to death........ When you do nothing, the problem will only gets worse and at best stay the same. Your not a politician are you?
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

I apologize for asking about it :oops: ...I was thinking maybe someone had gone through a similar situation and may have had some more specific insight, but like you've mentioned, it all needs to be tested. I was in a bit of panic mode when the Vibe was dead...sorry again.

Not sure what to make about the politician comment... :|

Anyway, an update...no problems at this time. Didn't need a tow. I just temporarily put another battery (from one of our other cars - Honda Accord) in the Vibe, and it started up fine. The Vibe battery was only testing at 11.2 volts when it was dead, so I had it charged (reading 12.6 volts after charging), and I had the electrical components tested at two different places. The voltage at the battery terminals with engine running was 14.2 volts, so it seems the alternator is working fine. There was the concern of a parasitic draw draining the battery, but so far, the engine is starting fine, and the voltage is remaining normal.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

check the ground cable running from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame. mine worked loose on my '10 and then shortly thereafter had similar problems only to find the cable itself was corroded and needed replacing. it caused major starting issues and if it happened to my 2nd gen, it can happen to yours. the quality of the cable must be junk.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM