under dash buzzing (second time around...)

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
deegee

under dash buzzing (second time around...)

Post by deegee »

I experienced the dreaded fresh air vent actuator failure a few years ago and now I have a slightly different buzzing problem. While the actuator was a loud ticking/clacking noise, this one is fairly quiet. Its not a constant buzz, but it will start low, get a bit louder over maybe 5-10 seconds, then suddenly quit. It happens when the car is idling at a stop, or at any speed while in motion. fan on or off, fresh air on or off. a/c on or off. defrost on or off. Sounds like its coming from somewhere between the stereo and the airbag/glove box, closer to the firewall.

I've gone through numerous posts but nothing seems similar to the problem i'm having. I plan on pulling the radio and the glove box out next week when I get a day off, and in the mean time, I just turn up the radio so the noise doesn't drive me batty.

Any thoughts as to what it can be?????

Thanks!

Dee
2004 AWD Moons n Tunes with 135,000 miles
ehoff121

Re: under dash buzzing (second time around...)

Post by ehoff121 »

The first thing I would check for is any loose objects/coins in the console, doors, glove box, and storage compartments, since your noise seems to be louder at lower idle. Also, is the passenger seat belt flat or is the buckle twisted up between the B Pillar and the seat back?

At lower idle, the car will vibrate at a lower frequency (just like bass from the stereo) and make things move. The higher the rpm's, the faster the vibration.

If you turn off the engine, but leave the ignition in "ON", do you still hear the noise? Does it matter if the blower fan is on or not?

If you still hear it with the blower on, the next thing I'd check is the Cabin Air Filter- something could be stuck in it that could cause the noise.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
deegee

Post by deegee »

ehoff121 wrote:The first thing I would check for is any loose objects/coins in the console, doors, glove box, and storage compartments, since your noise seems to be louder at lower idle. Also, is the passenger seat belt flat or is the buckle twisted up between the B Pillar and the seat back?

At lower idle, the car will vibrate at a lower frequency (just like bass from the stereo) and make things move. The higher the rpm's, the faster the vibration.

If you turn off the engine, but leave the ignition in "ON", do you still hear the noise? Does it matter if the blower fan is on or not?

If you still hear it with the blower on, the next thing I'd check is the Cabin Air Filter- something could be stuck in it that could cause the noise.
Took all the 'stuff' out of the glove box, hatch area, etc. It makes the same noise at speed or at idle. Starts low, then increases, then stops. quiet for about 10-20 seconds, then repeats. Made a quick 400 mile round trip this past weekend, it did this all the way to ID, then all the way back home....

Seat belts are in proper position. I do get a vibration from the instrument bezel at certain speeds/road conditions. That's a completely different buzz. One of these days, I'll fix that. checked it at lunch, key on, blower on, makes noise. Key on, blower off, makes noise.

i did try the recirc button a few times. I used to be able to hear a soft noise when the vent opened/closed. I no longer hear it, like its not working. BUT, there is a noticeable change in air temp/pressure when its recirc vs fresh air. (temp at the 'cold' setting, no a/c.)

I did swap out the filter about two months ago. That's going to be the first thing I check on. maybe something is amiss there. hoping it is something simple like the filter....replacing that actuator was a PITA.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

deegee wrote:Key on, blower off, makes noise.
With the engine off?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
deegee

Post by deegee »

Well, I had some time before karate this afternoon, so, I turn on the key (engine off) and removed the glove box. Yup, there's the problem.

Its the vent.

With the fresh air on, the vent will randomly open and close.

With the re-circ on, the vent will close, it will still make the noise like its trying to open. On occasion, the vent door will kind of 'flop' open a bit, then it will close back up.

So, does this mean i have to replace the motor for that? Or is it more of a switch problem?