2003 GT odometer replacement

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
chadds1

2003 GT odometer replacement

Post by chadds1 »

Hi, I have an 03 GT that's been stuck at 299999 for awhile. My state requires an functioning odometer for inspection so I need to replace.

My question is, is the base and GT odometer the same? I see several odometers from base models for sale, but GT ones are hard to find. Thank you!
MacGyver

Re: 2003 GT odometer replacement

Post by MacGyver »

The GT clusters have a higher max speed than base models. I don't know if they're compatible.

Another member got his cluster replaced with a note above the odometer saying 300,000 and he posted a pic showing the odometer reading zero, which is super rare since you can't buy a new car without it having a few clicks on the clock.

Also your trip odometer still works, is that enough for state inspection?
2009 Vibe Base
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is a link that shows you how to reset the mileage, where the chip is at on the cluster, what software you need, and how to do it.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3 ... mming.html

If you can not do it yourself; then here are other options. You can send the cluster away and pay someone to reset the mileage for you. Ebay has a list here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=T ... nt+Cluster

Last you can read more about this problem on this forum board here:

viewtopic.php?t=36445

You will have to weed through the bad info. Good luck and you can also Google about the 299,999 problem as it is a known issue (the chip can not hold a hex value higher than that). Also changing the mileage will throw red flags about your title and inspection, etc. so make sure you document and take pictures before and after for proof so you do not get in trouble with the law.
Last edited by jolt on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

ive got a US 2003 GT odometer (in canada) with 124xxx miles on it if you're interested. just a 2 min swap