2003 A/C cold one day, hot the next

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Sleeperservice

2003 A/C cold one day, hot the next

Post by Sleeperservice »

Hi guys,

My 2003 vibe suddenly started blowing hot air today. I got out my trusty r134a can and hose w/gauge to go fill it up. I hooked it up and no pressure reading at all on the gauge. Thinking the system was empty I tried turning the valve and letting it draw the refrigerant in but nothing got sucked in. I thought the can was empty after opening the valve on the hose, so I took it off and I learned the hard way that it wasn't empty. Fortunately had safety glasses on. I used a screwdriver to see if there was pressure in the system by pushing down on the schrader valve on the low pressure side and got a lot of nice pressurized hiss coming out, so not sure why the refrigerant wasn't going in. Compressor seems to be kicking on, I can hear it and it causes the idle to adjust. Any ideas what might cause the A/C to suddenly stop working? Thanks for your help!
lannvouivre

Re: 2003 A/C cold one day, hot the next

Post by lannvouivre »

Get out and verify that the clutch is indeed engaging. It's the triangular plate on the A/C compressor pulley.

It might also have moisture in the system.

Make sure that the gauge is indeed reading properly, you might not have had it open to the system or something.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
MacGyver

Re: 2003 A/C cold one day, hot the next

Post by MacGyver »

This guy shows you the right way to find the leak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCv7rCdcXsc

Don't waste your time, money, or hurt the environment by refilling a system with refrigerant without fixing the leak first.
2009 Vibe Base