Slow fuel fill

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Yamahammer

Slow fuel fill

Post by Yamahammer »

I am having an issue where it takes forever to fill my car up with gas. I have to fill it at a trickle otherwise the pump clicks off. I have done some searching on Toyota cars with this issue, bt everything I see is for older cars that have a vent to the atmosphere. Has anyone had this issue, and what is the ticket to repair? Car runs fine and doesn't have a CEL or anything. Thanks
07 grey Base 5 speed, 200k miles
jayoldschool

Re: Slow fuel fill

Post by jayoldschool »

Your car still has a vent tube, and it would be the most obvious cause for your symptoms. Plugged or kinked.
Yamahammer

Post by Yamahammer »

Every hose I see plugs into something else. I see the big black box and the little one behind it. Neither of which vent to the atmosphere.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

I guess I wasn't clear enough. Your car has a vent tube. It doesn't vent to the atmosphere. It is connected to a vapour recovery system. Start searching how to troubleshoot that.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Were you able to inspect the entire fuel fill line. Behind the rear driver tire is a plastic panel that comes off allowing access to the fuel fill and vent/surge line. On mine, it was filling fine, but when I removed the panel their was a lot of debris wedged between the panel and line. Also something from the road could had hit the panel and bounced off and in the process dented the line.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Yamahammer

Post by Yamahammer »

I took the access panel off and everything is good. It looks like I need a special tool to take the vent lines apart. Does anyone know what tool that might be? Thanks
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

It shouldn't need a special tool besides flat blade screwdrivers. I was able to remove my EVAP canister with sockets, a ratchet, and flat blade screwdrivers. Just take your time and be careful. If you don't think you can get it off without damaging it, consider taking it to a mechanic. What you're looking to do is blow FROM the EVAP canister back into the fuel tank, so you'll have to figure out which one comes from the tank and which one goes to the engine.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit