2009 Vibe automatic door locks no longer working ...

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
tpollauf

2009 Vibe automatic door locks no longer working ...

Post by tpollauf »

Ok. So this is a question for my son's 2009 Vibe GT seeing how his is an automatic. He told me that back in the early spring that his car no longer automatically locks the doors when taking it out of park. It's probably some simple procedure BUT I've read nothing here from other members and the owners manual pretty much says a Dealer has to do the programming (I don't buy that at all). Just curious if anyone has had to make these program modifications to their 2009-10 Vibes yet. Thanks ;)

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
gtv237

Re: 2009 Vibe automatic door locks no longer working ...

Post by gtv237 »

Thats a tough one. My Vibe never locks its own doors but it is a stick shift. A lot of cars lock the door once the car starts moving or gains a little speed. Is everything else working on the car? No check engine light? You may want to code scan the BCM to see if there are any faults.

I've always wanted to plug into a tech2 and see what options are there.
jolt

Post by jolt »

gtv237, do you think the Tech2 would work, after all the Vibe is a Toyota and not a true GM product. Wouldn't the Toyota Techstream be better for the Vibe?

Check this video, he said "door locks":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDpldAv0uQE

This video shows the programming for the door locks.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Yes, dealer has to do it with the Tech2 tool. I had my 09 base changed at no charge shortly after I bought it used from a dealer. I asked for the 30 second auto door relocking to be disabled, because that drives me crazy, as well as enabling unlocking all doors on the first remote button press.

These things could be changed on 08 and prior with the seatbelt voodoo, but that changed on 09+.

What puzzles me is that auto door locking was enabled, but now is not. So there could be another problem...
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Thanks guys for the valuable input. That Toyota video link was very helpful and if it were to work on our Vibe's then I'd go that route and avoid the dealer. So if I spend the $15 or so for the cable & got the software, would it work on our 2009-10 vibes OR are we at the mercy of the dealer no matter what? If unsure I may just gamble and spend the few $$$ and try it! God I love this forum :D you guys are great!

jolt

Post by jolt »

It could be something like the signal from the park/neutral safety switch not getting to the ECU to tell it to unlock when you put it in park. You need to check any inputs and output to make sure the ECU or programming is the problem. It is more likely something else, but you have to check to make sure.

Also about the video, if you watch some of the other videos about the Toyota Techstream, one person said something about being able to rent the software from Toyota for $55.00 for two days. I do not know if this is true or if this software will work on the Vibe, you will have to investigate that yourself. You will still need your own hardware to make the software work too.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

This is worth a shot Tim.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote:is worth a shot Tim.
Thanks Carrie ;) Where do you even find this stuff ??? I'll definitely try this on my 09 Vibe GT as I have the manual transmission and will be curious to see if the vehicle locks once it gets up to speed. I'll also try it on my son's Vibe. Will post results later when I attempt this.

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:Thanks Carrie ;) Where do you even find this stuff ??? I'll definitely try this on my 09 Vibe GT as I have the manual transmission and will be curious to see if the vehicle locks once it gets up to speed. I'll also try it on my son's Vibe. Will post results later when I attempt this.
You're very welcome Tim ;)!

There's a lot of useful information on Toyota Nation! I tried the thing with the locks on my Vibe and it worked! Unfortunately, there are only 2 options; the doors lock when the transmission is put in gear and the doors do not lock when the transmission is put in gear. I wish it could be set to lock when put in gear and unlock when put back in park like my dad's Trax :|.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Well I tried this little trick on my 09 Vibe with the manual transmission and NO LUCK! :cry: Does not work and likely will not work. I still may purchase the OBDII connector to USB and look into online programming stuff. My son's Vibe is now working but then he took it to my friend's shop to have oil changed and some other things done and maybe they solved the problem.

jolt

Post by jolt »

tpollauf wrote:Well I tried this little trick on my 09 Vibe with the manual transmission and NO LUCK! :cry: Does not work and likely will not work. I still may purchase the OBDII connector to USB and look into online programming stuff. My son's Vibe is now working but then he took it to my friend's shop to have oil changed and some other things done and maybe they solved the problem.
tpollauf, I bought a cable for the OBDII connector from e-bay that came with the software. I just had it hooked up to our '09 Vibe 2.4l auto trans. It works better than the ~$20 scanners you see for sell all over but it is not as good as the full blown factory scanner either. I can change settings for lights, door locks, and those kind of things; so it is not just a reader. It does have two way communication but it is not fast enough to support live data/graphing transfers. I changed the door locks to unlock when the transmission is put in park, tested it and it works, then I switched it back and tested it again, works like it used too. So, you can toggle settings and read data. It reads my VIN code and has a section to change the VIN code in the ECU. It does far more than just read error codes and for the price, I think it is worth it.

I loaded this on an old laptop with XP. Some people have got this to work with Win7 but is more work to do which is why I kept it simple with XP. Without being hooked up to a car, the software does not show you much and options do not show. The software found my VIN number and year. I just had to pick the model, Matrix. When the software first reads the vehicle, all the ECU's show up in yellow on the laptop screen, which means they did not communicate, but if you click on one of the ECU modules and then go back to the main screen, they all show up as white, which is communicating with the software. I loss communication with the cable when I tried to read live data stream and this is common from what I read with these cheap cables. There is a company that does make a cable/adapter that does work fully with the live data stream but that cable is close to $500.00 so for less than $20.00, it is better than anything else you can buy for that price and does function with the Vibe.

Here is a link to the one I bought on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322216969767?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Thanks for the update. Looks like you bought the last one as it now comes up "this item is currently out of stock". I'll look into this in the next month or so and hopefully can play around with it then. Thanks ;)

enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

So, jolt, I want to be sure - you're saying that you used Toyota Techstream to communicate with your Vibe and make changes? I have used the same ebay Techstream on my RAV4 and it worked fine, but I was leery to try it on the Vibe (not wanting to somehow mess up an ECU!). So that's good news that Techstream works also on the Vibe.
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799
jolt

Post by jolt »

Yes, I used it to change the door locks so that it unlocked all the doors when the transmission was put in park. I verified the change worked. I went back in and changed it back so the doors would not unlock when shifted into park. That change also worked as the door locks chanced back to their original setting. The software automatically found the VIN number and the year. I had to pick the vehicle which was Matrix. I can not remember what version of Techstream I used, but off the top of my head, I think it was version 9.20 something. I would have to pull out the old laptop to check. I would say that if the software does not detect the VIN and year, then the software is not talking to the car.