'03 5speed clutch, trsnsmission issue?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Lamina1982

'03 5speed clutch, trsnsmission issue?

Post by Lamina1982 »

Vibe has around 220k miles on it. Last yr it was slipping out of 5th and progressed to rest gears. I have another vehicle so just parked it at soke point trying to move it i cld only get in reverse and then it seemed stuck..thinking it was the clutch i gathered the parts and recently replaced the clutch. So i just put a new excedy clutch pressure plate and throwoutbearing and a new sachs flywheel. I start he car and its doing the exact same thing..i cant get gear shift to move at all...i cant get neutral or seemingly any gear. I even manually moved the clutch fork thinking it may have been the slave cylinder.
Really pissed did all hat work and still nothing.

Is the transmission shot? Or anyone any idea whats going on. When it originally went it seemed to be a rayher suddenish event.
Thanks
jayoldschool

Re: '03 5speed clutch, trsnsmission issue?

Post by jayoldschool »

Hate to tell you, but it's probably the trans. These early 5 speeds are really fragile. I knew this when I got my one owner (family) low mile 04, and the trans still went at under 100k. Grenaded, and all I had was third (and lots of horrible noise. Find a 6 speed from a GT and get on with enjoying your Vibe. It worked for me!
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Agreed. Failing 03/04 5-speeds are a well known problem.
At least you already got a new clutch that you can move into the replacement transmission.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Lamina1982 wrote:..i cant get gear shift to move at all...i cant get neutral or seemingly any gear. ... When it originally went it seemed to be a rayher suddenish event.
Thanks
If you don't have any gear and you don't have neutral, what exactly does your car do when you let the clutch out? Are Both CV joints good?
Lamina1982

Post by Lamina1982 »

Basically when let out clutch u get some noise and the car will basically shudder a bit and stall.

Before i replaced the clutch when i was trying to get shifter to move if kept trying basically the clutch discs seemed to just be burning up and wld just stall.
Doesnt seem like tries to move at all just shudders n dies.
Currently i think it may be in reverse as that was last i cld move it..but doesnt even try going backwards
So its like clutch discs just spin but cant get trans to turn
Lamina1982

Post by Lamina1982 »

It seems odd as when the cars jacked up i can rotate yhe fromt tires fine