Zipping Sound

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
BeerMike

Zipping Sound

Post by BeerMike »

I recently purchased a one-owner 2005 Vibe with 52K miles on it. It was actually owned by an old lady.... you know the rest of the story. :)
Base Model 1.8 L (code 8) Automatic

I have done the following work on the car:
Replaced wipers
New Michelin Premier tires
Recharged AC
Changed oil
Replaced cabin filter
Replaced engine air filter
Changed transmission fluid (after noticing the zipping noise)
Changed spark plugs
Replaced front brake pads

An issue I'm having:
I'm hearing this zipping noise, and I'm hoping someone can help. When I'm driving about 40 MPH, I hear this zipping noise and right after I hear this zipping noise, the tach drops from about 1800 to 1200 RPMs and it immediately bounces back up to 1800 RPMs. I also hear this zipping sound as I'm slowing down from 60 to 40 MPH and I see the tach bounce again. Does anyone what what is causing this zipping noise? Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

BeerMike - I think it's time for another beer.
vibrologist

Re: Zipping Sound

Post by vibrologist »

I am not sure how to interpret "zipping noise". i assume it is a high pitch noise. Does it sound mechanical i.e. metal on metal, or rubber on metal or is it more an airflow thing like a hiss or whistle?
Get a length of garden hose. Put one end on your ear and probe around in the engine bay with the other end while the engine idles. You may find the source that way.
I can imagine it may be caused by the drive belt and/or the idler pulley. The drive belt is the one thing you did not mention in you maintenance list. Inspect that belt closely.
If it is a hissing sound you may find a vacuum leak. If a vacuum leak is that bad it should also cause a CEL.

If you can't find it have another one of those beers. We all understand! ;)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
BeerMike

Post by BeerMike »

I guess I should have tried to describe this zipping noise. It sounds like unzipping your jacket really fast but muffled or at high speeds having a tire hit those rumble strips that wake inattentive drives.....but the sound is not that loud.

Today, I set the cruise at 40 MPH, and I still heard the zipping noise. So it's not my foot coming off the accelerator causing the RPMs to drop.

I will take a listen to the engine compartment with my hose and try to determine where his noise is coming from. This noise is driving me crazy. I'm glad I found a good use for my hose. ;)

Cheers,

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Is it related to driving speed or to rpm? Is the inner fender loose and it touches the tire at speed?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

BeerMike

Post by BeerMike »

I performed the hose test and could not pinpoint anything unusual with my untrained ears. I don't hear any hissing either. There isn't any tire rubbing that I can see.

I think the issue is related to speed versus RPMs. I turned over drive off and drove approximately 30 mph which had the RPMs at approx 1600-1800 RPMs. I could not recreate the issue. The issue only occurs above 40 mph with the tach around 1600-1800 RPMs. Could the noise be coming from the transmission?

I took a video of the tach this morning where you can hear the noise and see the tach bounce. I will post that later tonight.

Cheers,

BeerMike

Post by BeerMike »

Here is the video I took this morning. You can hear the zipping sound and then see the tach bounce. Does anyone have an idea what is causing this?

Cheers,

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

It is more like a bird's chirp.
It's an '05 and therefore it has drive by wire. First check if the PCM has been replaced because most of the '05s are covered by a recall.

The second thing I would guess is that there is a fault in the DBW pedal or the TB motor or in the communication between the two. It is what it is: a guess, a somewhat educated guess.

You could trace the wiring and disconnect any plugs to inspect them. Maybe the rubbing cleans the contacts and the issue goes away. Look down by the pedal and look at the TB.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I think it's the torque converter lock-up clutch or one of the shift clutches (band) engaging momentarily.
If an extra shift clutch engages out of turn there will be contention, which puts on stress, making the rogue clutch squeak.
Why it's behaving that way I don't know.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

2x vibrologist and circuitsmith. Also possible momentary electrical power loss? I would check for any codes.
Also try running it from idle to 3000rpm in each individual gear - with and without overdrive, several times to see if you can determine a pattern.