A/C stopped working, what to check, who to take it to

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
victoriabc03vibe

A/C stopped working, what to check, who to take it to

Post by victoriabc03vibe »

Hi,
My first post but I have read this board for years. I have had a 2003 Vibe since 2004, my favorite car ever! I have really driven problem free for 12 years! I know next to nothing about cars and have recently moved so I don't have history with a mechanic. Suddenly 2 days ago my Air Conditioning stopped working. The Air Conditioner light goes on when I press the button. The fan works but blows air the same temperature as when the Air Conditioner light is not on. I am pretty sure there is no "surge" that used to be heard and felt.
Can anyone tell me where to start and what to check? or what type of mechanic to go to? Do I start with asking them to check a fuse and/or the level of freon coolant? Sorry if these questions are basic but I hear that A/C can be very expensive to fix and I really have nothing to go on here. Thanks to anyone who has advice.
gtv237

Re: A/C stopped working, what to check, who to take it to

Post by gtv237 »

First step would be to see if the A/C is activating. The radiator fan should come on when the A/C is commanded on from the driver. The compressor should also activate and start spinning. Sometimes it spins continuously and sometimes it cycles on and off every few seconds depending on pressure levels. If it doesn't come on at all I would check pressures. The compressor will not activate if pressure in the lines are too low. Low pressure would indicate a leak.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Mine quit working recently, and all it was was the compressor relay under the hood. They're only about $10 and probably the cheapest and easiest place to start.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Gvibe57

Post by Gvibe57 »

If the a/c light lit up when you pressed for the a/c you have power to the circuit.Next if your main fan does not operate that would disengage the compressor also,if the fan came on and the compressor didn't engage, could be the relay or the refrigerant level, or the compressor itself last resort,ang you will need a/c gauges to check refrigerant level.Good luck!!!