03 Tranny, Wondering if its the usual.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Matadorian

03 Tranny, Wondering if its the usual.

Post by Matadorian »

Hey guys, first post here.

I have an 03 1.8 manual 5-speed. Ive been reading a few posts to see if my situation has happened before and even though ive read bad tranny issues they dont seem the same as mine so here goes.

Bought the car a little over a year ago it currently has 129k miles. Runs great, drove form virginia to miami a year ago, Never had issues or sounds or any warning whatsoever of problems. Yesterday im driving home from work, I stop at a light, light turns green I take off half way through first gear maybe 10 mph and power to the wheels disconnects and loud grinding noise like two gears grinding against each other. and thats it. In neutral no sound at all, if i try to engage clutch in any gear, it feel like it engages and then, I would assume, something else in the tranny losens and grinds. Is it safe to asume that the bearing is blown without warning? or could it be something else? Clutch? Sorry this is my first owend Stick shift so my experience with manual transmission and how they work is limited. Ive been trying to catch up fast.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Chiadog

Re: 03 Tranny, Wondering if its the usual.

Post by Chiadog »

CV joints/axles is a good place to start..
jolt

Post by jolt »

Need more info. Like Ciadog said, it could be axle, joints, or even brakes, rotors, caliper, hub. At this point I would take it to a shop were someone can diagnosis and test it. You should have heard noise from a bearing before a total bearing failure takes place.
Matadorian

Post by Matadorian »

Thanks for the heads up! If was too focused on tranny/clutch because of the tranny history I was reading about. After some brain storming it does make sense that the problem is actually later down the drivetrain. I Sure its not wheels/brake/hubs cause the car was easily pushed to the nearest parking lot no noise or resistance. Ill be digging up the cv/axles today to see their status. Is a bad differencial something that could be causing the problem?
jolt

Post by jolt »

A bad clutch disk were the facing has worn off, or came off, and now metal to metal?