Rumbling transmission noise & power only going to one wheel

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
davidsampson

Rumbling transmission noise & power only going to one wheel

Post by davidsampson »

Hey all

I have a 2003 Vibe GT, pushing 200,000 miles and it's started to have some issues. We first noticed that between 20-50 mph or so there is a pretty load noise coming from front of the car, not particularly to either side. The best way I can describe it is like really loud road noise -- just a loud, indistinct whir or slight rumble. Above 50 or so mph, it becomes less noticeable, though it may just be that the engine and actual road noise are overtaking it. The first thought was a wheel bearing, but it's definitely not to one side or the other, and the right front wheel was rebuilt with a new bearing a year or two ago, so it would be odd for both sides to fail at once. We put it up on jack stands and started playing with it this afternoon. There are a number of noises coming from the front, and it seems like the main rumbling noise is present at all speeds, it just wasn't noticeable when actually driving. The oddest thing that we noticed is that when you let it idle in first gear, the front right wheel spins at idle speed like you expect, but the front left starts spinning at first and then just stops on its own, you can even stop it with your hand. In neutral you can spin it with your hand, so it doesn't feel like the brakes are activating, but when you go from idling in first to neutral it quickly slows down, as if there is something in the transaxle that it slowing it. Any thoughts? I really only need this car to last a couple of months more, so I am really hoping it doesn't turn into a new transmission or something. I don't even think the car is worth the cost of the replacement.
Chiadog

Re: Rumbling transmission noise & power only going to one wheel

Post by Chiadog »

First, I would put the car on jack-stands and thoroughly inspect all drive components. Look for excessive play in wheel bearings, CV joints(inner and outer), and Tranny output bearings. Also closely inspect all front brake components. If you haven't done this before, find someone who has, to give you a hand.
Don't try this on a car that has traction control! If the drive-line inspection reveals nothing wrong, run the car (Safely) with the front wheels off the ground again. This time safely raise only one front wheel at a time and run the car up to about 35MPH to listen for excessive noise to isolate the problem.
NOTE: 35MPH with only one wheel turning - Turns that wheel at 70MPH. That should be more than fast enough to show if there is a problem.
This should only be done, If you can do it safely in a controlled setting!
Note - It's normal for one of the raised wheels to slow to a stop at idle in drive, UNLESS THE CAR HAS TRACTION CONTROL!
davidsampson

Post by davidsampson »

Alright I did your test -- no noise with the front left wheel elevated, noise is present when the front right wheel is elevate. Doesn't sound to be coming from the wheel itself, however, still sounds very centered. Bad output bearing on the transmission you think?
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I never had one go bad, but I'm guessing a trans-axle bearing bad enough to be noisy, would also have very noticeable "play". Did you check for play or movement in the wheel bearing and CV joints?
davidsampson

Post by davidsampson »

The wheel doesn't wiggle at all, and I couldn't wiggle the cv axle significantly either. Took the wheel off and it sounds like it might be in the outer cv joint, which is frustrating because it was replaced only 2 years ago.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

That's a lot less frustrating than an internal bearing. Aftermarket parts rarely last as long as the originals. You may be able to confirm your diagnosis by making a cone-shaped "megaphone" out of paper or cardboard to essentially put your ear right onto the noisy part, while staying away from the moving parts.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

davidsampson wrote:The wheel doesn't wiggle at all, and I couldn't wiggle the cv axle significantly either. Took the wheel off and it sounds like it might be in the outer cv joint, which is frustrating because it was replaced only 2 years ago.
What brand did you use?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Any follow-up?