Motor Mount?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Kat1215

Motor Mount?

Post by Kat1215 »

Well I have been without my car for several weeks now and here is the story. I was driving my car and was hearing a noise under the hood. My first thoughts were the a/c, a fan of some sorts and then I began thinking it could be the water pump. Well to make this about as short as I can, it was the water pump. Drove my car about 10 mins to a c-store and noticed I had no power steering. So I popped the hood and the belt is missing and the water pump is leaking. Drove the back to work and upon closer inspection the belt is still intact. So order water pump, got it, but I have another that I have not been able to fix yet. My motor mount? that the alternator is attached to is broken. Now I have been 2 weeks trying to figure out is this a motor mount or not. Went to Autozone and they say it isn't. I am at my wits end. Is it or isn't it a motor mount? That is the question. :shock: :? :( :oops:
Caretaker

Re: Motor Mount?

Post by Caretaker »

I just had something similar happen. Specifically:

drove 20 miles and suddenly my check engine light comes on. My power steering is gone. Car stalls. I push the car to the side and wait 30 minutes. The car starts up and then quickly stalls. I get a jump start, start the car and drive the car to a shop without any power steering. After the bozos finally get to my car, they say it starts just fine and they cannot find any trouble with the battery. Turns out, the alternator was over heating. Once it cooled, it worked "fine." Just thought I'd share that with you in case your situation is the same. I replaced the alternator and all is fine. I know one of my motor mounts is getting "weak." I've already had my water pump replaced on my '09. Not sure what year your car is. Hope it all works out for you.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Can you take a picture of what you're talking about? The motor mounts are going to be rubber.
Kat1215

Post by Kat1215 »

Well my car still isn't back on the road as of yet. Depending on other people's help due to not having any money to go ahead and buy parts and pay for repairs myself really sucks. Anyways I had a friend who looked at the car and yes it is a motor mount the alternator bracket is attached to and we found one on ebay but when we compared the 2 they are not the same.....sooooooo either we fabricate one or I start looking for another one. I just want my car back :x

I hope ya'll have a great day
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Since money is tight, you may consider pricing the part at a junkyard as well. Good Luck!
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Kat1215 wrote:Well my car still isn't back on the road as of yet. Depending on other people's help due to not having any money to go ahead and buy parts and pay for repairs myself really sucks. Anyways I had a friend who looked at the car and yes it is a motor mount the alternator bracket is attached to and we found one on ebay but when we compared the 2 they are not the same.....sooooooo either we fabricate one or I start looking for another one. I just want my car back :x

I hope ya'll have a great day
I would be odd for the metal of a motor mount to break; you can't really fabricate your own rubber dampner.

I'm not sure on gen1, but I got a gm part for under $100, not pricey at all for what it's made of
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Kat1215 wrote:Went to Autozone and they say it isn't. I am at my wits end.
Don't listen to the people at Autozone.
1. They don't have to know ANYTHING about cars to work there.
2. Those people were clearly fucking morons.
3. The mount on that side is a MOTOR mount, because it is ATTACHED DIRECTLY TO THE DAMN ENGINE. If it's attached to the transmission, which that specific one is not, it can be called a "transmission mount", but it usually will be sorted as a motor mount.

So never listen to parts guys, they almost never know (removed) they're saying and need to learn to shut their mouths if they don't know what they're talking about.

2003-2008 Vibe FWD base motor mount on right: WESTAR EM9164
2003-2008 Vibe AWD right: DEA A62026
2003-2005 Vibe GT right: WESTAR EM9412

2009-2010 1.8L right: ANCHOR 9449
2009-2010 2.4L right: ANCHOR 9447

I used Rockauto.com for part numbers. Just go on there to look for good prices on parts. First gens (2003-2008) have drum brakes in back if base models and disc brakes in back if they're GT.

Second gens (2009-2010) have different motor sizes, 1.8L and 2.4L.

Does that make sense?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

ctgottapee wrote:you can't really fabricate your own rubber dampner.
It's probably not practical for our cars, but it IS possible to make them from an old damaged one... http://importnut.net/home-made-poly-ure ... ne-mounts/
2003 Vibe Base A/T