overflow filling gas tank?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
canadave

overflow filling gas tank?

Post by canadave »

In my 2009 Vibe, the last few times I've filled the gas tank, it has overflowed, even though I stop pumping gas as soon as the nozzle clicks shut. I withdraw the nozzle and fuel spills out from the tank. This happened at gas stations throughout the US and Canada (first happened on a long trip I made). Now it happens every single time I fill up.

The Vibe is at around 150,000km on the odo.

What could this be, and how easy/cheap is it to fix, I wonder?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
jolt

Re: overflow filling gas tank?

Post by jolt »

Check your tank vent line if the line is kinked, plugged, melted or clasped. The vent runs from the tank to the top of the filler neck. If that line is plugged, it will not let the air out as the tank fills. If the air can not get out fast enough as you fill the tank, the tank becomes pressurized and as you pull the filler nozzle out the pressure will push the gas out that is in the filler neck causing it to overflow.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Same as jolt, I would suspect a plugged vent.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
canadave

Post by canadave »

Thanks guys, sounds plausible enough to me, and I'd love to check it out. I haven't the faintest clue how to access that vent line, though....?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Derf

Post by Derf »

Will try to post picture later today. Above the driver rear tire is a trim panel held on by three 10mm screws. Remove this panel and you will see the fuel inlet, vent, and return line. This will give you an idea where all three lines come together in the fill neck plus you can trace them to the fuel tank and purge can. Also if your tire flung something sizeable into the wheel well it could have damaged this panel or line.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Derf

Post by Derf »

Was going to take picture, but video might be better. Fuel door and lines start around 4:45 mark. Shows how the panel come off to check fuel lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cno5fZNqJYI
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )