Interior cabin noise is loud!

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Gohan77

Interior cabin noise is loud!

Post by Gohan77 »

I have a 2009 AWD Vibe (77,500 miles) and has been a great car. But Since I have owned it I have noticed a slight rattling noise at or around 2000 RPM, especially going up a hill. Almost like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. So in order for me to stop the noise I either have to slow down or speed up so it shifts. Anyone experiencing this issue?

I have also noticed that the interior cabin noise is horrendous. Going over certain roads it gets even louder and more unbearable. I love the car, but is there a way I can reduce the cabin noise and make it a more comfortable car to be in?
TreFatKids

Re: Interior cabin noise is loud!

Post by TreFatKids »

I don't know about the rattling noise but for interior noise you could by some sound deadening material and put it under the carpet. Usually comes in a roll.
jolt

Post by jolt »

For the interior noise you could pickup some cheap foam backed carpet from your local home improvement store. Cut to fit over the interior floor of the car and try it to see how much noise is reduced. The thicker the foam backing, the more noise it will absorb. The area I would do first is the rear as it is all plastic back there with very little sound control. Be careful of putting carpet under your pedals so your pedals do not get carpet cot in them (think gas pedal recall and the first thing that was blamed on).

The rattle noise at the same engine rpm, I would be checking all the shields under the car. Check all the exhaust shields and the gas tank shield. Sometimes just bending a shield at the right place will stiffen it up and stop the rattle. Look for bad exhaust hangers or exhaust that is to close to other parts and rubbing.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Gohan77 wrote:I have a 2009 AWD Vibe (77,500 miles) and has been a great car. But Since I have owned it I have noticed a slight rattling noise at or around 2000 RPM, especially going up a hill. Almost like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. So in order for me to stop the noise I either have to slow down or speed up so it shifts. Anyone experiencing this issue?

I have also noticed that the interior cabin noise is horrendous. Going over certain roads it gets even louder and more unbearable. I love the car, but is there a way I can reduce the cabin noise and make it a more comfortable car to be in?

How loud are we talking? Hard to carry on a conversation or hear one talking?
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

As an automobile technician I drive every type of car out there and my vibe is on the quieter end on interior noise. Sounds like something may be wrong with yours.
Gohan77

Post by Gohan77 »

gtv237 wrote:As an automobile technician I drive every type of car out there and my vibe is on the quieter end on interior noise. Sounds like something may be wrong with yours.

How specific and helpful
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Gohan77 wrote:
gtv237 wrote:As an automobile technician I drive every type of car out there and my vibe is on the quieter end on interior noise. Sounds like something may be wrong with yours.

How specific and helpful
Thought that was the trend for this thread.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Are you running tire pressure much above spec (32psi)?
That will increase noise.
How far down are the tires worn?
They let more road surface noise through as the tread gets thinner.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Gohan77

Post by Gohan77 »

circuitsmith wrote:Are you running tire pressure much above spec (32psi)?
That will increase noise.
How far down are the tires worn?
They let more road surface noise through as the tread gets thinner.
PSI is right at 32. the tires are fairly new still. atleast 75% tread.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Oh wow I didnt know that higher tire pressure produced more road noise. I run my tire pressure at 37 psi. Im going to try 32 again. Thx for the tip. I always thought the vibe was pretty loud on the highway. Even with sound deadening on all doors, pass and driver floorboards its still noisy. I have learned to live with it since its such a great car with lots of other plusses.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on