2003 Vibe GT--cruise control stopped working

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
rovinrivers

2003 Vibe GT--cruise control stopped working

Post by rovinrivers »

My Vibe has 169,000 miles on it. Cruise control just stopped working. Cruise light still lights up on the dash, so I ruled out a fuse.
I did notice some broken little plastic bits on the drivers side floor, no idea what they're off of. What should I check next?
trb

Re: 2003 Vibe GT--cruise control stopped working

Post by trb »

Plastic parts on the floor makes me think that the brake pedal switch might be broken. The system will not let you engage the cruise control if the brake switch does not work, as a safety measure. I just unplugged mine, and while the cruise light will turn on, if I try to set the cruise, it does not work and the cruise light flashes. Also, the brake lights do not work if the brake switch is broken or disconnected. So see if your brake lights work, or look under the dash and see if the round switch attached to the brake pedal is intact. Otherwise, the cruise on the 03-04 models and the GT and AWD models is a manual cruise control, so there could be several things wrong with it under the hood.

Edit: Also just thought, there is probably a clutch switch also that will disconnect the cruise when you press in the clutch. That is a possibility to check.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one. My 2004 Vibe GT cruise control just stopped working in the last couple weeks and not many posts on that topic here so I'll let some of you guide me into troubleshooting. With me working 12 hour nights the past nine weeks pretty much constantly (had 4 days off in the past nine weeks) I may not have time to thoroughly look into fixing it until this refinery shutdown is completed! July 3rd should be my final night of work.

Anyways the cruise light is illuminated as it should be BUT that's about all that works. Tried setting it at various speeds and various angles of the wheel (in case clock spring was iffy) and it's dead no matter what. Won't work at all. suggestions, comments, etc ??? Thanks .............. Tim
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I'd start with checking the clutch safety and brake switch. If either of those are pressed in ever so slightly, cruise won't work. Someone else can chime in with further suggestions as I am drawing blanks on what else to check.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I've seen problems with the switch on the steering column. Mine once took a squirt of contact cleaner to work. Be careful with the airbag if you investigate this yourself.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

andrewclaus wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:51 am I've seen problems with the switch on the steering column. Mine once took a squirt of contact cleaner to work. Be careful with the airbag if you investigate this yourself.
"Okay, just jiggle this a littl*BANG*"
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Add me to the list of non-working CC. Although mine seems to be sporadic. When it does work, it works as it should. When it doesn't, here is what I have noticed so far. The light illuminates on the dash when I press the end of the stalk to turn cruise on. When I press the stalk down to engage, the light on the dash starts to flash and the only way to get it to stop is to press the end of the stalk again to cut power to the module. Sometimes I can wait 10-15 minutes and it will start working fine again, which leads me to believe it's possibly some sensor. Not a huge issue because it works more than it doesn't ATM and quite honestly, I've been shopping for a newer vehicle for the last few months and when the right one comes along my Xrs will be moving along to a new owner.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My cruise acts up in the winter when I run the heater. Doesn't in the summer or when I don't run the heater. I figure mines the cc module, but not worth fixing, so I don't know for sure