2006 passenger air bag

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
dpetepiece

2006 passenger air bag

Post by dpetepiece »

Received recall notice for my 2006 vibe telling me the passenger air bag is being recalled but there are no parts available.
Notice says DONT USE PASSENGER SEAT.
Does anyone know of an easy way to trick the system into thinking there is a child seat in the passenger seat so that it will lock out the passenger air bag?
If I put something heavy on the front seat without using the seat belt the air bag is locked out. Could I disconnect a wire under the seat so the computer will think the seat beat is not connected and thus still be able to use the front seat without fear of the air bag going off?
Dave
gtv237

Re: 2006 passenger air bag

Post by gtv237 »

I can't answer your question but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I can not 100% confirm that my opinion is correct but 2006 vibes have been getting in major crashes for 10 years and plenty of people have survived. I believe that even these recalled air bags do more good than bad and most of the issues are media hype more than anything.

Remember recalls are the manufacturer trying to update something and make it safer. The manufacturers that don't recall are the ones you have to worry about.

Just open your mind a bit..
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I don't think the passenger bag is active unless there is weight in the seat. You have an indicator for it on the center dash bezel.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

this is a next-gen air bag system.

if the system determines there is nothing on the seat then there is no point to inflate the air bag.

if there is adequate unsecured weight on the pass front seat then the air bag warning light will indicate it will not inflate.

try it out. put a heavy box on the seat. drive around. the air bag indicator above the radio will show 'off' as long as the seat belt isn't latched.

if too much unsecured weight is on the seat then the warning system will chime continuously until the seat belt is latched or the weight has been removed.
dpetepiece

Post by dpetepiece »

Gentlemen
I have not explained my point well enough.
I know about the safety features on the passenger side air bag.
I want to continue to use the passenger seat for passengers and want a way to trick the system into turning off the air bag so I dont feel the need to comply with the recall notice which says not to use the passenger seat until there are parts to fix the inflator
dave
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

if you're that desperate on using the passenger front seat then don't use the seat belt and don't get into an accident. if you do, at least the airbag in question will not go off.

which is the lesser of both evils during an accident?

a properly secured passenger that requires air bag inflation during a crash
or
a non secured passenger w no air bag inflation during a crash

or you can simply take a different car.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

need to sort this out. The last post is not correct. Airbag will deploy ANYTIME the weigh sensor senses weight and a crash happens. There is also a seat belt sensor. The seatbelt light is warning you, "PUT ON the seatbelt dummy!" Both wire sets are under the seat. Which one does what is a process of elimination by putting something on the seat like a gallon or so of milk or water and see which disables the annoying Put on your seatbelt chime and turns on the airbag light which is saying the weight sensor has been disabled. Or just disconnect them both and take your chances. This previous statement is NOT a guarrantee that bag just won't deploy in a crash to be safe. Not everyone has 2 cars
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
dpetepiece

Post by dpetepiece »

Thanks Jasonvibe.
Unlike the previous poster bluneon you have understood the challenge.
I think it will be made easier because the air bag wires are all Yellow while those associated with the seat belts are not.
I learned this when I changed my driver's seat because it was falling apart due to my weight.
If I could afford two vehicles I might not be driving a vibe Dave
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I think the thing to do is use a continuity tester (or ohmmeter) and measure for continuity of the wires going into the seat.
Figure out which switch is making or breaking continuity when an adult sits.
Then either add a jumper or disconnect a wire (in a reversible way) to fool the system.
I'll take a look in the next couple of days and let you guys know what I find.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

I pulled the seat out last year. That was when I had to disconnect wires for another service my local quality mechanic(not GM). Did not notice YELLOW wires under the seat. Yellow(GM) is always dedicated to the Airbag itself. Not for sure if the weight sensor associated to it also has yellow. Yes I have an Ohm meter and know how to use it...good idea. Guess I will need to dive into this when we must get everyone in the car. But also I do live in New England when we really do not have true humidity(supposedly causing this) till randomly May thru August.
dnoishere

Post by dnoishere »

My 2007 was recalled on the airbag issue...took them a couple days to get the sensor that was needed...took it in for the fix and when I went to pick it up, somehow wacked the dash cover piece, won't clip in now....one side will keep popping up. So they had to order a new cover piece for me...morons!
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

try calling the gm customer affairs number at the bottom of the letter to request a supplemental vehicle.

if you're still stuck driving the car the only thing i recommend is to place the person of lowest weight in the seat and hope they don't weigh enough to require the airbag (because the seat belt is enough to restrain a 90lb child versus a 300lb man due to the advanced system)

or pull the fuse for the srs/air bag system. this will turn off the srs diagnostic unit and in essence all of the airbags, etc.

it is also not recommended that untrained personnel change or modify the srs system of any vehicle. the system completes a diagnostic check of 100% of the system whenever the key is turned on. if it detects anything abnormal then the red airbag light will be triggered. if the light is flashing the srs unit has disabled the entire system, then none of the air bags will deploy. or may accidentally deploy during the custom modification. if the light is solid this means there was a problem previously, but not currently. the bags may still deploy.

because of so many variables that occur during an accident there is no guarantee whether an airbag will or will not deploy. that's why the owners manuals for any manufacturer about the srs systems are left vague, especially about the weight specifics of occupants that will affect the weight sensor; adult versus child, seating posture, seat belt use, etc.

gm specifically states no one should occupy the seat until the repairs have been made. until then gm, genvibe nor any information found herein will not be held liable for any and all damages or losses. any and all risk is assumed by the individual vehicle operator.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

YES... MORONS at the GM dealer by me. It's a crap shoot whether they can do anything properly. Any place does a good job I tell others "to go to them". DO a bad job, I say " don't go"........... to everyone. SO anyone get a loaner yet ????? because this vehicle can cause death or severe injury in any type of accident. Actually that's what GM is saying. And trade in anywhere is impossible till this is remedied.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

jasonvibe wrote:YES... MORONS at the GM dealer by me. It's a crap shoot whether they can do anything properly. Any place does a good job I tell others "to go to them". DO a bad job, I say " don't go"........... to everyone. SO anyone get a loaner yet ????? because this vehicle can cause death or severe injury in any type of accident. Actually that's what GM is saying. And trade in anywhere is impossible till this is remedied.

In other words,you're tired of the Vibe and looking to get rid of it?
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

I am not rich but I SAVE MY $$ AND PAY 80% CASH FOR ANYTHING this expensive. My Vibe is 10 years old and hope it makes it another 2 years so I can do the same again on the next cage.