2010 Cruise Control problem

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
zeply

2010 Cruise Control problem

Post by zeply »

Hello. Newbe with a 2010 2.4l model. I just purchased this great vehicle secondhand. Everything seems to be working except the cruise control. When I press the switch nothing happens; no dash indictor light or actual unit function. The original owner was an elderly woman and her son actually handled the sale. I asked him and he said his mother would have never even used the cruise control. Would this be a fuse, and if so does anyone here know which fuse to check? The owners manual does not indicate a cruise control fuse. It has an aftermarket remote starter/alarm system installed. Is it possible the cruise control was damaged/disabled when the remote start was installed? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jolt

Re: 2010 Cruise Control problem

Post by jolt »

Read your owners manual. It will show you how to operate the cruise control. The manual can be found on-line and there may even be a link on this forum board for the manual. My wife's Vibe is an '09 2.4L and the curse control is on a stick off to the bottom right of the steering column. Once you turn it on, you have to set the speed with the stick. It is not like most other cars when it comes to where the controls are at for the cruise control.
zeply

Post by zeply »

Thanks. Just to clarify; operating the cruise control switch/lever is not the problem. It just flat out doesn't work and I get no indicator on the dash of the cruise being activated. Again any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
jolt

Post by jolt »

You may want to check this out as a Vibe is basically a Toyota Matrix/Corolla:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/323-1 ... n-fix.html

also check this link for checking fuse and replacing stick:

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/2rqjy- ... rking.html

Here is video showing where the fuse panel is and from the above link if you read it, you are looking for the instrument cluster 10A fuse.

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2010_ ... or/replace
kostby

Post by kostby »

Be sure to check the rear brake lights including the CHMSL (Center High-Mounted Stop Light) in the hatch for a burned-out bulb.

I don't know about current vehicles with so much more computer technology, but going back a few years, a burned-out brake light would absolutely prevent the cruise control from working, because the brake light circuit was used to disengage the system when brakes were applied.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Yes, kostby, the brake switch and the clutch switch can make the speed control drop out of engagement. As you set the speed to engage the speed control, it will lock in for about three seconds and then drop back out if either switch is out of adjustment or bad. This is not zeply's problem, and I missed it first time around too, the speed control will not power on for him.

The button at the end of the speed control stock could have been jammed and bent the contacts inside the switch which is talked about in one of the links I have provided. This would keep it from powering on. Another thing it could be is the connector for the wires in the steering wheel or just a bad stock switch assembly.