CRAPPY highway mileage from my '07 Vibe!

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
bsd70

CRAPPY highway mileage from my '07 Vibe!

Post by bsd70 »

Good day...I need help with something, I figured you Vibe Masters would have an idea. My '07 Vibe (with about 137,000 KM on it) is getting much worse mileage on the highway (about 17 mpg) than in the city (about 27 mpg). I've had a tune-up, a fuel system cleaning, a wheel alignment, a new engine air filter, a mass airflow sensor cleaning - still no improvement. And the tires are fine. No check engine light has come on. Three mechanics I've spoken to are stumped :x . Do you fine folks have any idea what the problem might be?
Baltovibe

Re: CRAPPY highway mileage from my '07 Vibe!

Post by Baltovibe »

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Is it shifting into overdrive? What is the tachometer saying at 70 mph?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe .... although I wish it were on better terms! You definitely got something weird going on there. Not to rub anything in BUT here's a snapshot of my 2012 Chevy express 2500 (8000lb work van w/5.3l V-8 engine) getting an impressive 20.7 mpg on the Ohio turnpike the other day (had a good tail wind!). Too many factors to look into. Bad fuel, ECU acting up, tranny slipping (check RPM's), etc. Let us know what you find and post pics of your Vibe so we all know what you're driving!

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jolt

Post by jolt »

Did anyone try pulling any trouble codes from ECU? Does the check engine light work? Did you do a gas mileage check the old fashion way and compare that to what the dash is saying? Automatic or manual transmission? Have any of the three mechanic worked on the car?
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

bsd70 wrote:My '07 Vibe (with about 137,000 KM on it) is getting much worse mileage on the highway (about 17 mpg) than in the city (about 27 mpg). I've had a tune-up, a fuel system cleaning, a wheel alignment, a new engine air filter, a mass airflow sensor cleaning - still no improvement. And the tires are fine. No check engine light has come on. Three mechanics I've spoken to are stumped :x . Do you fine folks have any idea what the problem might be?
Welcome to genvibe!

Assuming you have a base FWD, the estimated US MPG is 30 city/36 hwy. You gave the odometer in km, but the fuel economy in mpg.

How are you measuring fuel economy? There are a ton of variables that can affect it. What is your cruising speed during highway driving? Anything over 70 mph (112 kph) is going to impact mileage. How aggressive are you when you drive? Do you "floor it" getting on to the expressway? Is the A/C on? Windows down? Tires properly inflated according to door sticker? No extra weight in the car, e.g., sandbags, "stuff", significant other, etc.? Is the road flat or hilly?

Not sure what a "tune-up" is since there's not much to tune up besides cleaning the throttle body, IACV, MAF, or changing spark plugs.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Derf

Post by Derf »

How long have you had the problem, 2, 3, 5 fillups? Using the same station for fuel? I had seen were fuel economy slipped because of fuel blending, more ethanol, goofy mixup in winter to summer blend. I agree on the transmission, if it is automatic, their could be drag, shifting, or fluid issues. Their had been one post about intake manifold gasket issue causing poor fuel economy, but that issue usually creates a check engine/trouble light.

The fuel line or tank could also be the issue. Had one vehicle that you could smell a faint oder of gas, but could never find a leak. Turned out that it leaked only when the fuel pump was running, it had a fine pinhole stream of gas out the line, engine off, the pinhole quit and their was no dripping.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )