sway bar link

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Murdoc

sway bar link

Post by Murdoc »

Before the extreme cold hit I attempted to change the front sway bar links but stripped allen/hex screw poor design if you ask me. What can I do to get these out now, I really don't want to cut them off if i don't have to, any suggestions?
ehoff121

Re: sway bar link

Post by ehoff121 »

Couldn't find an image of the part showing an Allen/hex bolt. Could you post a picture (yeah, I know it's freezing out there- sorry) so we can see what you're dealing with?

What did you spray on the bolt to penetrate it?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I actually tightened them back up until it gets warmer, when I tackle this job again I will post pictures, the next few days its only going to be single digits and calling for snow. Reason for replacing them to begin is the mechanic stated there was minor play in the left front sway bar link during PA's dreaded inspection. None the less he still passed it .
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

What you can do is get some locking pliers and lock them down on the area between the link and the sway bar, then tighten. Make sure you get the pliers on right enough they will not shift, or the rubber boot WILL tear and you'll have to get a new link, which sucks horribly.

Some links don't have the little allen socket and this is how you have to install them.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I had to grind away the old links on a Mazda Protege. I used a die grinder.
Last edited by vibrologist on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Depending on how rusted the bolt is you may just have to cut them off. An impact would definitely help. Take a Prybar or something and put pressure on the end link then just zip it off. If that doesn't work you can drill a hole through the side and stick a screw or some sort of pin through to lock the ball in the socket so it can't spin.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I already bought new ones, I don't have an impact, I read you can vice grip one side and it stops the allen bolt from spinning and just take the nut off that way. The new ones I got don't have the allen bolt hole they will be much easier to install!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Murdoc wrote:I already bought new ones, I don't have an impact, I read you can vice grip one side and it stops the allen bolt from spinning and just take the nut off that way. The new ones I got don't have the allen bolt hole they will be much easier to install!
If they don't have the Allen hex hole they have flats for an open wrench on the side of the ball joint. You need a wrench that is not too thick so you won't damage the rubber over the ball joint. The new nuts are safety nuts that won't come loose. That means they are not all that easy to tighten.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Me and a friend actually tackled this a few months ago he recommended jamming a torx socket in the stripped hex hole and taking it off that way which worked like a charm, front sway bar links replaced!
CanTfixBrokeHeart

Post by CanTfixBrokeHeart »

Curious to know, did you have any success with any of these meathods? If so which one ? I could also use some diagnostic advice. .. apart from leaf springs and hubs and bearings I haven't much expirence with suspension. The vibe Aka Victoria has the death wobble over 60 mph and every time I hit the smallest bump she bunny hops and swevrs and sways and clunks and I fear I'm about to bunny hop my way into the opposing traffic lane!! I want to drive her like I know she can drive down shifting around corners taking a 30 mph corner at 50- I replaced shocks/ struts and I bought ball joints and linkage ( linkage was visibly bad) and rear sway supports and hope that she returns to handeling well. The back end seems kinda bouncy at times too but struts had been done there a year ago. Help!! Please I've wracked my brain and pinion ground my gears and I'm lefts with hands in the air. Any suggestions?