'03 Vibe Airbag System Fault

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
schwartzy18510

'03 Vibe Airbag System Fault

Post by schwartzy18510 »

Hello all! I have a 2003 Vibe with the 1.8L engine and about 112,000 miles, which serves as my wife's daily driver and as our joint trip vehicle. Some time ago, the airbag system readiness light came on in the dash, indicating a fault within the system. My wife and I had just received the GM recall mailers relating to the airbag system, so we figured it likely that the light would be resolved once we had the recall work completed. We had the below two recalls completed at our local GM dealer last week:

Recall # 13030 - Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Electronic Control Module (ECM)
Recall # 13112 - Takata Airbag / Front Passenger Airbag Inflator

However, the airbag system readiness light is still on. I thought perhaps the recall work had remedied the problem but the system had not been reset, and thus attempted a hard reset by disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 60 minutes. This didn't reset the light. My next thought was to check for a bad fuse, but after examining the fuse key and finding that the fuse that controls the airbag system is the same as that for the ignition, I realized that couldn't be the issue.

After doing some reading on similar problems here on the forums, I've experimented with attempting to start the car with the steering wheel in various positions in order to ascertain whether the fault is a clockspring issue as detailed in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40783. However, steering wheel position appears to make no difference, the light remains on constantly upon starting the car and while driving. The horn also works without any issue. These two facts lead me to believe it's not a clockspring issue.

I called the local dealer who performed the recall work, explained the situation, and asked if they had scanned the system and recorded the fault codes. The shop manager said that they had scanned the system after performing the warranty work and had identified a code which pointed to an issue with the signal coming from the SDM module. With this in mind, I have a few questions:

1.) Is there any way to perform a reset of the airbag system so I can determine whether the fault has already been cleared? Ideally one that doesn't involve paying the dealer $90 to do so? I have read a few posts about people using a jumper wire to read specific fault codes.
2.) Where is the SDM module located and how difficult is it to replace?
3.) Is there any way to test the SDM module to determine whether it is truly bad?
4.) Is it necessary to have a new SDM module "programmed" to your VIN by a GM dealer?

Any and all ideas on what could be causing the issue are welcome. I'm a weekend wrencher with quite a bit of experience under the hood but very limited experience working with electrical systems.
bluneon

Re: '03 Vibe Airbag System Fault

Post by bluneon »

there is no testing appropriate for the diagnostic module. it's either bad or it's good. if the system doesn't show up when scanning it then it needs to be replaced. if it's throwing multiple codes for itself AND satellite sensors/inflators then the sensors/inflators need to be replaced first; assuming there isn't a harness issue.
there is no vin programming needed for the diagnostic module. it's plug and play.

the trouble codes are stored into hard memory. electrical disruption like battery disconnect won't clear it. some srs systems can display history codes; every code that it recorded in it's lifetime. after the repairs have been made and codes cleared, the light will not be on/flashing but those codes will be stored as past codes.

if the light is on then the system is defaulted to not deploy any inflator.

for a definitive answer you should take it to a shoppe to scan the system for the code(s). unless the dealership can be more specific?

if you have a pre-existing condition the recalls are not required to remedy these issues. the recalls are for specific items in the system. far tooo many people expect this.

the 13030 recall is to install a subharness in series w the existing harness to prevent a short circuit. your system already had other issues prior to service.

the second recall is to install an updated inflator to the passenger front module, this is to prevent unusual fragmentation of the original inflator that might cause shrapnel being thrown to passengers.
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

as stated in the recall notice:
Q5: What should a customer do if the AirBag Warning light is illuminated?
A5: The airbag warning light is designed to come on when the engine switch is turned to the “ON”
position during the ignition cycle check function. It goes off after about 6 seconds. This means the
system is operating as designed. If the airbag warning light illuminates or remains illuminated
after this period, the customer should contact their local authorized GM dealer for diagnosis and
appropriate repair. If the warning lamp illumination is related to the condition covered by this Safety
Recall the repair will be performed at no charge.
if the srs system is throwing a code directly related to the recall then they system repairs will be done as part of the recall. if there are codes outside of the item being repaired then something else has failed and needs to be fixed.
schwartzy18510

Post by schwartzy18510 »

Thought I'd post an update, as the airbag system malfunction light is now FINALLY out after close to three years (no, it didn't burn out). On 11/08/17 I had the local GM dealer perform the third and final recall related to the Takata airbag issue:

Recall # 14877 - Supplemental Restraint System Air Bag Control Module

The replacement of the SRS Control Module appears to have resolved the underlying issue. The light is now out and the system appears to be armed and ready to function. That said, the dealer managed to crack the trim panel wrapping the gearshift column, as well as break the pop-out compartment housed by said column, so more work awaits. Ugh.

Just glad the airbag system is finally back up and operational!
2003 Salsa Red Vibe Base Model
1.8L 1ZZ-FE, FWD, AT, 190K Miles
*Unresolved Vibration at Idle*