TAIL fuse keeps blowing

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Briceune

TAIL fuse keeps blowing

Post by Briceune »

I currently drive a 2003 Vibe. Just the other night, I noticed that half my dash was not lit up even though my headlights were on.

So I began searching through the manual to see what fuse was connected to the center dash lights. I found it was the fuse was under the dash and was labeled TAIL. This fuse is also connected to the license plate light, taillights, courtesy lights, and gear shifter light. So with this fuse blown, none of these work and I'm unable to drive at night. I changed the fuse about 5 times but continues to blow as soon as the light switch is turned on. I've also tried placing a bigger fuse but it also blew after a second.

I've installed LED bulbs in the license plate sockets recently but this fuse problem didn't occur until last night. I've also installed an LED strip under the shifter to replace the stock bulb. This was done a month ago.

I've looked over these forums and found some people with similar problems. I've tried all the solutions that I found in the forums but none have fixed my fuse problem. I've tried disconnecting all the lights to see if was the bulbs causing the problem, but the fuse still blows. I've tried making sure the relay above the glove box is fully plugged and it was. I haven't pulled up any of the trim along the door sills in awhile so I don't think it could be a splice that causing the short but hey, I might be wrong.

I've been at this for hours now but have yet to find the problem or a solution.
bluneon

Re: TAIL fuse keeps blowing

Post by bluneon »

let's talk about basic electrical principles:

here is a very basic electrical illustration

positive power source---->circuit protection-----switch/relay---->resistor/motor------>ground.

imo based on your description:
disconnecting the ground will still blow the fuse
disconnecting the resistor/motor will still blow the fuse

i believe your issue is the wiring in between the resistor/motor and the switch/relay. it is grounding out since you said the fuse blows when the lights are turned on, the short to ground might be between the switch/relay and resistor/motor. the supplied voltage is grounding out after the fuse and this un-natrual electrical path is causing excessively higher amperage to pass and thus popping the fuse. if you don't have a wiring diagram this one might be a pain to figure out.

adding a higher amperage fuse is not a good idea. this one might be difficult to figure out unless you're good at reading electrical diagrams, accessing individual electrical components, and testing said electrical components & being able to efficiently utilize a multimeter and electrical diagnostic tools.
Last edited by bluneon on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briceune

Post by Briceune »

bluneon wrote:
positive power source---->circuit protection-----switch/relay---->resistor/motor------>ground..
First of all, I would like thank you for the reply. It is much appreciated and extremely helpful.
Second, just to be sure. Are you saying that the problem lies between the fuse box in the car and the relay located above the glove box?
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

i re-read your first post and you stated that the new fuse pops whenever you switch the lights on.

the light bulbs are basically resistors.

so considering the basic electrical path from power to ground the issue will most likely be after the switch and before the resistance, which would make it a harness issue.
Briceune

Post by Briceune »

Ok, I see what you're saying.
I was just looking at the wires just now and I doesn't see any obvious damage to any of the wires but there is a stray white wire behind my head unit. I've noticed that a lot of the white wires are the ground wire in the harness. Would grounding this wire to another white wire might help?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Briceune wrote:Ok, I see what you're saying.
I was just looking at the wires just now and I doesn't see any obvious damage to any of the wires but there is a stray white wire behind my head unit. I've noticed that a lot of the white wires are the ground wire in the harness. Would grounding this wire to another white wire might help?
I would follow and verify that it actually is a ground. I think you'd be better looking at the back end of the tail lights circuit because the ground for the rear lights is actually on the rear right according to the service manual.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Your issue has nothing to do with a ground wire. You have a short in a positive/hot wire. The most likely location is where you have added lights/wiring.

Never install a larger fuse than installed by the factory. The purpose of the fuse is to protect the wiring and the fuse is sized in accordance with the size of the wiring.

The second and less likely possibility is an internal failure in one of the LED assemblies you have added.

The factory wiring harness is not very likely to have a failure unless it has been modified. Retrace and remove everything you have done as the first step.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Briceune

Post by Briceune »

I fixed it! Mostly...

Turns out the shifter light I replaced with the strip of LEDs was the problem. The LEDs were fine but the wire leading to them must of got yanked or pulled on to cause the short. They must of got moved while I was driving cause it worked just fine for the first few weeks until they went out along with the rest of the lights the other day. I just discovered the plug to the lights while searching through the car just now. So I unplugged it and replaced the fuse and sure enough, it didn't blow and everything worked normally. The only down side (but not a total loss) is the no gear shifter light but also the plug was 4 pins so 2 went to the light while the other 2 went to the Overdrive button on the shifter. I always have the overdrive on anyways so it's not really a real loss.

I sincerely appreciate all the replies to the thread and thanks to all that put some input to help.
The good ol' envy green Vibe is on the road again. :D