Dash Lights Flash with Turn Signal

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
zbyers

Dash Lights Flash with Turn Signal

Post by zbyers »

Hello,

I have an 07 Vibe. This morning my lights started acting funky. When I have the dash lights dimmed and DRLs on, the dash lights flash with the turn signals or hazard lights. If I turn the dimmer all the way up, no issue. When I turn on the headlights (using the switch) the dash lights do not flash with the turn signals, regardless if they are dimmed or not.

Does anyone know why this may be? I haven't seen anything about others have a similar issue.

Thanks for the help,

Zack
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Derf

Re: Dash Lights Flash with Turn Signal

Post by Derf »

Rubbed wires that are touching, possibly due to rodents... I would check to see if you have had any visitors in your car, tell tale signs of mice.

Alternatively the Vibe lights are ground (-) controlled. If the rheostat in the dash dimmer is on the way out, could cause a floating ground where the turn signal power surge is strong enough to cause the dash lights to brighten up. Cleaning/inspecting/working the dash dimmer may clear up part of or most of your issue.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Lights that behave in the manner described usually have an inadequate ground connection. Unfortunately I can't suggest where you start looking.

Any work or modifications been done recently? Retrace your steps.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Per a different thread I started with other details regarding this- finally got a chance to check it out and see what the issue was. I pulled the bulbs out and turned on the lights to see what was going on. A few LEDs were out on the one bulb, no idea why either. Anyhow, stuck a regular bulb in, and tada. It was fixed. I'm guessing the LEDs being out were causing it to draw even less amperage (sorry if this isn't the right term) and caused feedback in it and made the lights pulse.

Anyhow, the issue is resolved. Time to invest in a TapTurn flasher! I can't wait for that.

Thanks everyone.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe