another cooling issue

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
o2ej

another cooling issue

Post by o2ej »

ok, so the kid takes mom for driving practice. a/c on, 10 miles on the highway, then turn into Tacoma for some city driving. long story, short, the car overheats. after it cools, with the a/c off, they return home.

I drive to work this morning, temp stays in the middle as usual. i check the fan status after parking in the driveway. turn a/c on-->no engine cooling fan on. a/c works fine, cold air, etc.

looked at fuse, i think it's ok. going to buy one anyway. is there a relay i need to check as well? want to cover bases

thanks
Chiadog

Re: another cooling issue

Post by Chiadog »

From what I see on my 05 Base wiring diagram, there are two relays for the engine cooling/AC fan (fan 1 and fan 2). It may be possible that the fan motor is running, but the fan itself is loose on the shaft of the motor.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

And don't forget a bad ECT sensor can keep the fan from coming on as well. Some cars even have a seperate thermal fan switch.
o2ej

Post by o2ej »

voltmeter test says power to fan motor. turned on a/c and fan tried to spin but just couldn't. i guess its time for a new fan assy.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

o2ej wrote:voltmeter test says power to fan motor. turned on a/c and fan tried to spin but just couldn't. i guess its time for a new fan assy.
What about the ground?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
o2ej

Post by o2ej »

lannvouivre wrote:
o2ej wrote:voltmeter test says power to fan motor. turned on a/c and fan tried to spin but just couldn't. i guess its time for a new fan assy.
What about the ground?

ground for the fan? I don't have the wiring schematic. I will try to trace it back from the fan connection.

On another note, any ideas for the cost of rebuilding the fan motor? I have found the fan assy. online priced from 70 to 300. the avg. price for a fan motor is around 100$. just wondering if anyone has had a fan motor rebuilt...