Vacuum cleaner sound when trying to crank?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
happypessimist

Vacuum cleaner sound when trying to crank?

Post by happypessimist »

Hey all. So. . . . I left the store today, tried to crank my 03 Vibe. And I hear this crazy vaccum cleaner sound. That's it. There's nothing even remotely resembling the normal sound of cranking a car. Looking under the hood, no belts are turning. REally, nothing is moving when the key is turned. Just the vaccum sound, which is coming from the alternator area (i think it's the alternator)

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas about this. I know I'll have to take it somewhere but I prefer knowing what is going on before I do.

In the past couple of weeks, I've noticed the exhaust is more pungent than usual, but the check engine light hasn't come on. Not sure if that was related. I was low on gas and long past time for an out change, but there is plenty of oil and it sure ain't out of gas. I'd driven several places all ready - short trips, turned car off, and then back in the car very quickly. And then. . blammo. I wish it would have at least happened at work. :?:

any ideas would be appreciated!
thanks
Water boy

Re: Vacuum cleaner sound when trying to crank?

Post by Water boy »

Is it the starter motor not engaging the Bendix?
Is it the HVAC motor?
Last edited by Water boy on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Sounds like a bad starter. Starter motor runs but does not engage with the flywheel would be my guess.
happypessimist

Post by happypessimist »

Thanks y'all. Yeah, my father-in-law said the Bendix (I had no idea what that was) when he heard it, and the guy who happened to be walking past while we were looking at it said starter too. We banged on it to try to at least save the tow fee, to no avail.

It was a big surprise to me, because last time my starter went out, the symptoms were completely different.

Whew! I'm glad it's nothing worse. I do love this car!

Though the dang starter is less than 3 years old! I guess I shouldn't buy the cheapest one this time!
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

happypessimist wrote:Thanks y'all. Yeah, my father-in-law said the Bendix (I had no idea what that was) when he heard it, and the guy who happened to be walking past while we were looking at it said starter too. We banged on it to try to at least save the tow fee, to no avail.

It was a big surprise to me, because last time my starter went out, the symptoms were completely different.

Whew! I'm glad it's nothing worse. I do love this car!

Though the dang starter is less than 3 years old! I guess I shouldn't buy the cheapest one this time!
There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive.

Your last starter failure could have been the solenoid or contactors.

Keep us updated. Never know when another person will need your "experience".
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

^X2 for the rest of us poor slobs
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop