Overheating issues

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
goodvibe77

Overheating issues

Post by goodvibe77 »

I have a 2004 Vibe. My problem started March of 2013.I was coming home from the grocery store when I noticed the temp gauge was at the "H" mark, also I noticed the AC would delay coming on. I put some coolant in the radiator and it was fine for a few months, then in June I noticed the temp gauge would slowly creep up to the "H" mark then go back down again.I poured more coolant in and again it was fine for a few months. It happened again in Aug and October. Last weekend the same thing happened and again I pured coolant into the radiator. It's been less than a week and I've noticed its been running hot again. A few things to note: I had my car inspected March of 2013 and they said nothing about the heating and cooling system needing work, also I got my oil changed at the beginning of April and they didn't say anything about it either. Also I never saw smoke coming from the engine. Any advice would be helpful, I'm dreading having to take it to the shop and having to pay an arm and a leg.

Matt
Salsa Guy

Re: Overheating issues

Post by Salsa Guy »

Have you looked for a coolant leak? Check under the car after running around awhile. First you need to figure out where it's leaking from then come up with a game plan for repair. From the sounds of it your water pump and/or the thermostat is going south. If you had excessive amounts of "smoke" coming out of the tailpipe, after it's been fully warmed up you have some MAJOR issues. But based upon your information it could be any number of things anywhere from a $25 to a $2500 fix. How Many Miles> Auto/Manual? What area of the country you live?
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

Salsa Guy wrote:Have you looked for a coolant leak? Check under the car after running around awhile. First you need to figure out where it's leaking from then come up with a game plan for repair. From the sounds of it your water pump and/or the thermostat is going south. If you had excessive amounts of "smoke" coming out of the tailpipe, after it's been fully warmed up you have some MAJOR issues. But based upon your information it could be any number of things anywhere from a $25 to a $2500 fix. How Many Miles> Auto/Manual? What area of the country you live?
I've checked and I have not seen any obvious leaks; I haven't seen any puddles under my car. I haven't noticed an excessive amount of smoke either. It was 164,000 miles and is an automatic.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

goodvibe77 wrote:
Salsa Guy wrote:Have you looked for a coolant leak? Check under the car after running around awhile. First you need to figure out where it's leaking from then come up with a game plan for repair. From the sounds of it your water pump and/or the thermostat is going south. If you had excessive amounts of "smoke" coming out of the tailpipe, after it's been fully warmed up you have some MAJOR issues. But based upon your information it could be any number of things anywhere from a $25 to a $2500 fix. How Many Miles> Auto/Manual? What area of the country you live?
I've checked and I have not seen any obvious leaks; I haven't seen any puddles under my car. I haven't noticed an excessive amount of smoke either. It was 164,000 miles and is an automatic.

Did you buy it new or used?
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

How about some wet areas in the engine bay? Check the AT fluid and Engine oil and make sure it isn't milky or foamy. Same with the coolant. Look around the heater, radiator, Throttle Body hoses and connections. Look directly under the water pump for signs of moisture. If you are adding coolant it needs to be going somewhere. If it's in the engine oil it could be a head gasket (bad), if it's going into Transmission it could be the radiator (bad), if it's leaking in to the Throttle Body it's being burned and you need a new TB (not real bad).

Oh yea check the floor boards the heater core might be leaking.

Good Luck
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

I haven't noticed any wet areas before.Of course today its raining where I live, so there will be some wetness today. I just had the oil changed almost a month ago if it was foamy would they have said something? Also I check the oil before and I did not see any foam coming out.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

If you are losing coolant it will either drip underneath or be sucked into the engine. Hope it is on the ground.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

So you check the engine bay and the transmission fluid? Yes you would prefer it on the ground. In the oil is very bad, in the transmission is bad, in the combustion chamber is not so good.
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

I checked around the engine bay, the problem is where I live (Richmond, VA) its raining and its pretty wet out. So I'm not sure if any wet spots are caused by the rain or a leak.
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

I checked the engine again and I haven;t noticed anything significant. Yesterday I checked the oil and it wasn't foamy or coffee colored. I took some pics of the engine, maybe you all will notice something I missed. The pics are at this address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88366173@N03/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

goodvibe77 wrote:I haven't noticed any wet areas before.Of course today its raining where I live, so there will be some wetness today. I just had the oil changed almost a month ago if it was foamy would they have said something? Also I check the oil before and I did not see any foam coming out.
It would depend on the shop.
some care...some don't.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
triz

Post by triz »

Hard to tell with the bluish tinted pictures. If you are using the red coolant look for any coloration on the block. Feel around for any wetness around the radiator lines. Could be a bad water pump on its way out, could be a air bubble.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
goodvibe77

Post by goodvibe77 »

I just wanted to give you all an update. It turns out the radiator, waterpump and thermostat needed replacing. It's no longer overheating. I just hope when it comes time to be inspected that that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

YIKES

I've heard of one or two but all three?

You did put on a Gatorback belt right?
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
triz

Post by triz »

Yeah pretty suspect that all three need replacing. I take it just one needed replacing and the mechanic got labor happy.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only