AC condenser replacement DIY?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Jzemaitis

AC condenser replacement DIY?

Post by Jzemaitis »

I purchased a 2008 vibe that has some slight front end damage. The previous owner ran something over large enough that it broke the center lower grill out and split the lower bumper. The ac condenser appears to have also taken a hit and the ac of course doesn't work. I don't want to spend 500+ at the shop. I'd rather do it myself as I'm pretty handy. Is this a job that could be done on my own or do I need a lot of advanced skills and tools? Is it difficult to charge the system correctly or is that best let to a shop?

Thanks!!
keithvibe

Re: AC condenser replacement DIY?

Post by keithvibe »

Unless you have a vacuum pump, the correct AC gauges, nitro for pressure testing and are EPA certified you can not DIY the repair.

While 134a is an hfc and not known at this time to damage the enviroment you sill need to know what you are doing when dealing with refriderants. You can buy it over the counter with out being EPA certified but without doing a proper evac on the system before charging it you will only waist your time and money.
that 500+ that a shop charges you is because the equipment costs thousands of dollars to buy the mechanic is EPA certified and is properly trained to handle the refriderants properly.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Jzemaitis

Post by Jzemaitis »

I think I'm going to take it in to verify it is infact the condenser. And if it is have them evacuate the system if there is even a drop left in it. Take it home and get a condenser from online and install it. Then take it back to be charged up. I don't have a big budget for this so I'm trying to do what I can on my own.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

you can do that, just make sure when you take it back after you do the repair that you ask for an evac, leak check and before they recharge they confirm with you that if there are any leaks you have them fixed first.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I've done this twice. replacing leaky compressors. It's no-sweat.
First, inspect the condensor for damage and leakage - compressor oil residue.
2. Check for pressure in the system (at low psi side line tap) with engine off. Ask a friend if your unsure about this.
3. No pressure present means system is empty - replace condensor and take it to the shop for evacuation and recharge ( ask the pro about adding the correct amount of compressor oil to replace the lost oil, if any)
Cost about $100.00 depending on location, etc.
safety note: Ensure system is empty, then break line connections carefully, wear eye protection, etc., blah, blah....