2003 Vibe GT sputtering in all gears at normal speeds, stallng p0120, p0121

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
willandrews

2003 Vibe GT sputtering in all gears at normal speeds, stallng p0120, p0121

Post by willandrews »

Hi, I have a 2003 Vibe GT 6spd manual. When driving at any speed in any gear (except hard acceleration) the car will suptter back and forth quite violently, it seems to be getting worse sometimes. It also idles quite high (2000rpm) most of the time, but it bounces down to 800 and almost stalls when it's warmed up, then returns to 2000. It has been doing this for a while, i have taken it to GM multiple times with no results and Totoya won't touch it. I am at a loss for what to do. I have replaced the TPS, spark plugs, and IAC which made no difference at all. I'm a university student and I can't afford to take it into a shop without knowing what's wrong. I really hope someone can help. Thanks.
2003 Vibe GT 6spd
BadBrew

Re: 2003 Vibe GT sputtering in all gears at normal speeds, stallng p0120, p0121 (willandrews)

Post by BadBrew »

Is this the problem you have? (listen to engine sound) Throttle problem
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
bonehead16661

Re: 2003 Vibe GT sputtering in all gears at normal speeds, s

Post by bonehead16661 »

I also have a 2003 GT. I replaced the clutch plate, an once everything was together the check engine light was on. Went to the local Pep Boys & had them test it for free. The error was P0120. I had some trouble understanding the guy's english, but from what I understood it is either the Mass Air Flow Sensor, or another sensor that is on the engine side of the air hose, kinda behind the throttle wire/gear. The Mass Air Flow Sensor is easy to take off, two screws & a wire hookup. Once that is off, you spritz the sensor a few times with Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, it was in the same area as brake cleaner and all that, it costs about $7, but is cheaper than a new sensor.

My issue is, that didn't work, and when I pulled the sensor on the motor block, it isn't the same. Apparently (and this is guess work on my part, I could use help here), there is a fan/turbine inside that turns a small drum outside, which the sensor reads to figure how much fuel to push through the fuel injectors. I am sure there is a little more science & technical terms, but I digress.

I noticed that when I took the sensor off the engine block, under the throttle body, the small drum stayed attached to the engine, but it doesn't turn freely, my question is should it? I assume this is the source of my trouble code, so how can I fix it?
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

The P0120 code is for a throttle position sensor:

http://engine-codes.com/p0120_toyota.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure what sensor you are describing on the block, maybe an engine speed sensor or a knock sensor. Anyway, it is not related to P0120.
bonehead16661

Post by bonehead16661 »

Thank You, sorry it took so long to get back to this. I think I replaced the air flow sensor, so I was misled at the store.