Brief engine " rattle " at cold start-up ,

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Esteban

Brief engine " rattle " at cold start-up ,

Post by Esteban »

Just to let others know, My 2010 Vibe had a brief rattle sound lasting about one second when starting with a cold engine . It sounded like the heat shield over the catalytic converter was rattling, but that wasn't it. The dealer could not hear this til I left it , overnight, & started it the next morning. I had printed out a copy of the TSB linked below, & took it with me. They heard the noise , called GM advisors, & did the repairs. They said that it was the first time they had seen this problem. There is even a short video on youtube about it. If you have this problem, it may pay you to make a copy of this pdf file when taking it to the shop. The warranty covered everything & they gave me a rental for 2 days.http://www.empirepao.com/tsb/T-SB-0087-09.pdf
Motoretro

Re: Brief engine " rattle " at cold start-up , (Esteban)

Post by Motoretro »

So a GM dealer honored this with out a problem? Isn't the GM warranty 5 years/100K on this 2010 vehicle? If so are Toyota TSB's covered under GM's 5/100K warranty?Thanks, Motoretro
Esteban

Post by Esteban »

Yes, it was honored once their GM mechanics were able to hear the noise & read the bulletin I had given to them. It will be interesting to see if GM now issues the same bulletin for their Vibes. It is for the 1.8 engines.
XRVibe10

Re: (Esteban)

Post by XRVibe10 »

GM does have a bulletin regarding this condition on the 1.8L engines (basically the same Toyota Bulletin) there is also one for the 2.4L engines with a Sharp Engine noise @ start or idle - the intake cam phaser will need to be replaced on this engine as well if traced / diagnosed as the concern
twistedwaffle

Re: Brief engine " rattle " at cold start-up ,

Post by twistedwaffle »

I just bought an 09' Vibe (1.8L) last week, and has been making this noise since day one. Good to know it's not a serious problem, however was hoping I wouldn't have to see a mechanic this soon. Haha
jackiyork

Post by jackiyork »

Hi- I am having a similar problem. I do not have a "check engine" light on- did anyone else have the engine light come on?

Thanks- totally newbie to this stuff!

Oh- I have a 2009 Vibe GT with about 41,000 miles.
ema1003

Post by ema1003 »

I just bought a 2009 Pontiac Vibe used, and I am also experiencing a brief rattle on the cold engine start. It only does it after the engine has been sitting several hours. Any newer updates on this? Is it covered by the 5 tear 100, 000 mile engine warranty by GM?
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

The cam phaser won't solve the problem. The problem lies within the starter. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
AmandainOttawa

Post by AmandainOttawa »

Esteban,
That PDF link that you posted doesn't seem to work for me, but I'm now having the same problem with my 2010 Vibe. I'm wondering if you still have that, or know where else I can get it?

Thanks!
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Looks like this is the one: http://www.readbag.com/empirepao-tsb-t-sb-0087-09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image  Image