2009 Vibe GT - Electrical / Computer problems ...

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
ajb812

2009 Vibe GT - Electrical / Computer problems ...

Post by ajb812 »

Well, I go to get into the Vibe the other day, start it up and I have a rather unwelcome surprise. While the car does start up as normal, the Brake light (parking brake is not on), ABS light, and power steering warning lights are on in the dash and the TPMS light is flashing. I go to shift it out of park (auto), and the shifter is locked and I can't shift out of park. Thankfully, I remembered there was a manual release under the trim panel, and was able to get it out of park and put it in reverse / drive to get it on the flatbed tow truck to get it to the dealer. The power steering is completely gone. Oh yeah - and the windows don't work for some reason. I am thinking one of the computer control modules must have gone, but i don't think it's the main ECU as the car started up just fine. The person in the service department seemed to also think that it may be a control module.Thankfully there is only 18,000 on the odometer and about another 5 months on the bumper to bumper warranty! Lord knows i wouldn't want to know how expensive this would be.Has anyone had any similar experiences? If so, what was the ultimate problem?On the plus side - at least I got a 2012 Buick Regal as a loner. Not bad, but I also would have taken a LaCrosse or Acadia Denali ...

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Jet Black Metallic
GenVibe Garage
tpollauf

Re: 2009 Vibe GT - Electrical / Computer problems ... (ajb812)

Post by tpollauf »

WOW ... I hope whatever it ends up being is a RARE condition that others here never have to experience. Both of our 09 GT's are fine. I had to charge the battery on mine due to it sitting in the garage for a couple of months not driven I'm really curious what went wrong and if your recent driving habits had anything to do with it (heavy rain, erratic driving, any other NOT normal driving) that could have possibly caused something to go wrong. Definitely keep us posted ..............
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ajb812

Re: 2009 Vibe GT - Electrical / Computer problems ... (tpollauf)

Post by ajb812 »

Nope, nothing at all out of the ordinary. I had done the DRL / auto headlight mod and fog light mods, but that was over 2 years ago and I've had no issues. I was looking at it the other day, but nothing was even moved or disconnected, so I doubt that has anything to do with it, especially since it's the light control module and shouldn't have anything to do with the problems that have occurred. Other then that, no other modifications of significance have been made, and nothing unusual has happened at all. It definitely does have me baffled, and a bit uncomfortable. The Vibe has been pampered from day one, always garage kept or covered and never mis-treated or abused. I've never had any other issues of any kind, and with only 18K miles on it, it worries me a bit for something so major to occur.It is at the dealership now - no word yet, so i don't think they have had a chance to look at it yet (just dropped it off Friday afternoon). Hopefully it is just a bad module. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

GenVibe Garage
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Almost at 88,000 miles on mine. Not problem like this. Hope not to encounter it either. Mines not been the least bit pampered; not that I'm rough on it or anything
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

If you did the mod that allows you to disable the DRL's, you probably cut the power trigger wire going to the light control module. If this wire accidentally grounded (shorted) - it would likely trip a fuse - a 10A one if I remember correctly. Toyota uses a single circuit tied to ignition to act as a "trigger" for many other modules in the car to turn on - essentially just a 12V signal. I believe that this is the same line that would affect virtually all of the modules you mentioned. These cars are in reality fairly simplistic when it comes to modules and controls. Most systems have their own independent module that in no way controls another - but that one signal line is a common denominator. Maybe something you snipped accidentally touched something else and blew the fuse. If that's the case - I hope you don't get charged for the repair, as it wouldn't technically be a "factory" fault...I'd let them know about the "mod" you did - just so they can eliminate that area from being the cause. If it IS the cause - you want them to spend as little time looking for it as possible. Dealership diagnostic time doesn't usually come cheap.Whatever they find - please keep us informed - good for future reference.Good luck!John
ajb812

Re: 2009 Vibe GT - Electrical / Computer problems ...

Post by ajb812 »

Almost forgot to update this - had to wait for parts for a week, then it slipped my mind. Well, all is fixed with the Vibe, and everything was taken care of under warranty with no problems thankfully. I'll have to double check the paperwork - but if I remember correctly, there was some sort of internal problem / malfunction with the underhood fuse box which was the cause of the problem, and was ultimately replaced. It wasn't something the dealer had seen before that they could recall, but everything is fine now with the Vibe and it's good as new. Hopefully it was just some random isolated incident. :|

GenVibe Garage
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Where is the manual release, under which trim panel, that let you get it out of park? Just in case I ever need to do this on mine. ;)
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799
ajb812

Post by ajb812 »

enfield577 wrote:Where is the manual release, under which trim panel, that let you get it out of park? Just in case I ever need to do this on mine. ;)
I think it's supposed to line up with the little hole at the top of the trim panel (under the switch for the AC power outlet) so that nothing would need to be removed to access it, but naturally it doesn't align properly. As a result the trim panel surrounding the shifter needs to be removed. To do so, unscrew the shifter knob, first remove the trim panel surrounding the radio (pull up on the trim panel piece starting at the bottom, and unhook it up at the top), then the trim panel around the shifter can be removed by pulling up on it. The manual release is a little flat white button / lever to the upper left of the shifter column - by pushing it down you can shift the car out of park ...

Ended up figuring it out the hard way myself, so hopefully it will help someone else who may need to get to it themselves in the future! :)

GenVibe Garage