2005 1ZZ PCM Recall - What do dealerships generally try to pull?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
skimask

2005 1ZZ PCM Recall - What do dealerships generally try to pull?

Post by skimask »

I've read bunches about the infamous PCM Recall for the no start/stalling/harsh shift/etc issues.I think it's my turn. I've had the "no start" condition happen to me 3 times in the past 2 weeks (hasn't happened to the wife yet and she's the primary driver...(removed)?). 3 tries to start it up, short bursts like normal, no go. Let it sit for about 15-30 seconds, try it a 4th time, starts right up...like nothing ever happened. Hasn't stumbled down the highway, transmission shifts normally, no CEL, other than the "no start", everything is good.Mine is an '05 Base. I'm the 3rd owner. Bought it from a used car dealer last December. I've never been to a new car dealer for anything other than to drive right thru it as a shortcut to somewhere else.What do I do? Just walk in and say I want to schedule a service call for this particular recall (NHTSB #EA10006) due to intermittent no-start conditions?What are they going to try to pull on me?Tell me they won't do anything because the car is running/starting fine?Try to get me to put in new O2 sensors and other B/S because they think I'm a typical "no brain" customer?(To that end, I've got a little over 1GB of running datalog's that show that other than the intermittent no-start, all sensors are operating normally and within spec)Any hints on what I should (or shouldn't) tell them to make them live up to their responsibility?
zaxellord

Re: 2005 1ZZ PCM Recall - What do dealerships generally try to pull? (skimask)

Post by zaxellord »

Quote, originally posted by skimask »I've read bunches about the infamous PCM Recall for the no start/stalling/harsh shift/etc issues.I think it's my turn. I've had the "no start" condition happen to me 3 times in the past 2 weeks (hasn't happened to the wife yet and she's the primary driver...(removed)?). 3 tries to start it up, short bursts like normal, no go. Let it sit for about 15-30 seconds, try it a 4th time, starts right up...like nothing ever happened. Hasn't stumbled down the highway, transmission shifts normally, no CEL, other than the "no start", everything is good.Mine is an '05 Base. I'm the 3rd owner. Bought it from a used car dealer last December. I've never been to a new car dealer for anything other than to drive right thru it as a shortcut to somewhere else.What do I do? Just walk in and say I want to schedule a service call for this particular recall (NHTSB #EA10006) due to intermittent no-start conditions?What are they going to try to pull on me?Tell me they won't do anything because the car is running/starting fine?Try to get me to put in new O2 sensors and other B/S because they think I'm a typical "no brain" customer?(To that end, I've got a little over 1GB of running datalog's that show that other than the intermittent no-start, all sensors are operating normally and within spec)Any hints on what I should (or shouldn't) tell them to make them live up to their responsibility?You've answered your questions. Give the dealership your VIN, they'll look it up and if your Vibe is part of the recall, they'll do the work. They may try to offer you additonal service, if you don't want that, all you have to do is say No.
trb

Post by trb »

That is just about like the symptoms my son's 06 Vibe had before the PCM completely went out after like the 4th episode. It would die and then not start until the 3rd or 4th try. And just like zaxellord said, they will look up your VIN to see if it is part of the recall, and then if it is, they will look at the PCM serial number to see if it is one of the bad ones. There is a thread on here where someone posted the service bulletin with the bad serial numbers on it so we could check it out without going to the dealer.Good luck on it. Luckily ours was replaced under the B2B warranty before the recall was issued. They may have to order the part, so be prepared for a few days wait if they don't have it in stock.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
skimask

Post by skimask »

Well, either I'd lucked out or I've got more work ahead.GM Safety Recall # 10282NHTSA Campaign # 10V387000 for the 2005-2008 Vibe (#10V384000 for the Matrix)Turns out I've got the 89661-02K43, which is one of the replacement ECU's, so the recall had already been take care of by the P/O.I researched all of this before I went out to see if I could get screwed so I knew I wouldn't need anything in the first place.On another note, I went in to the local Chevy/GM dealer yesterday expecting to be handed a bunch of complete B.S.Turns out I knew the guy behind the counter and used to work with him "back in the day".We got to B.S.'ing a bit and he informed me that if I would've talked to most of the other 'service manager' types, they would've tried to charge me for diagnostics, labor, and even parts, and how they would've likely tried to screw me into a handful of new O2 sensors by claiming they "ran the scanner across it" and so on.On their behalf, he also said that most of the other guys would've told me how to get reimbursed for the costs of the new ECU, but NOT for the diagnostics/labor/etc.So, any Vibe/Matrix owners up here in Minot, watch out for Ryan Chevy. And if you can, talk to "Steve".On the last note, I've still gotta figure out what's causing the "no start".Start with a full tune-up and go from there...plugs, filters, shake down (maybe clean off and 're-grease') all the connectors I can get my hands on, clean up the MAF (again), clean off the back side of the throttle plates...piece of cake...
dgekiere

Re: (skimask)

Post by dgekiere »

here is a couple tsb's from gm on crank no starts

Attached files cranknostart.doc (36 KB) 
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
dgekiere

Re: (dgekiere)

Post by dgekiere »

one more

Attached files cranknostart2.doc (99 KB) 
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

skimask, if you have a manual tanny there is switch on the clutch that won't let you start the car unless the clutch is pushed down completely. Maybe the switch is going bad.If you have an auto, nevermind.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
Serj22

Re: 2005 1ZZ PCM Recall - What do dealerships generally try to pull? (GMJAP)

Post by Serj22 »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »skimask, if you have a manual tanny there is switch on the clutch that won't let you start the car unless the clutch is pushed down completely. Maybe the switch is going bad.IF the switch may be bad, just get under the dash and unplug the harness from the button. Jump the leads on the harness with some 12v wire and tuck it away. Even if it's not broken, do it anyway, that button is bad. Just make sure you've got it in neutral or clutched in when you start it...
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
hotbug1776

Re: 2005 1ZZ PCM Recall - What do dealerships generally try to pull? (Serj22)

Post by hotbug1776 »

Quote, originally posted by Serj22 »IF the switch may be bad, just get under the dash and unplug the harness from the button. Jump the leads on the harness with some 12v wire and tuck it away. Even if it's not broken, do it anyway, that button is bad. Just make sure you've got it in neutral or clutched in when you start it...My next mod I think. That positioning of the pedal is extreme when starting the car. Never thought of that.
skimask

Post by skimask »

It's an automatic, and I probably should clarify the "no start".It's a "cranks/turns-over, but won't start" issue, not a no crank issue.Checked out the 2 doc's above.First one, for the fuel pump, N/A as it's only happened on hot restarts within 1/2 hour of the last run.Second one, for the recal of PCM, well, not likely, but possible.I would think not likely since the PCM got replaced last year, or what I assume was last year since the PCM recall came out in Feb '11.Anywho, first things first, and a tune-up ain't gonna hurt anything...unless I hurt something in the process
Piggy

Re: (skimask)

Post by Piggy »

I've got an 03, had a similar issue. I doubt this will be too helpful but, worth throwing out there.I have had a handful of instances where the car would crank and either fail to start or run very rough for 3 seconds and sputter out. Every one of these has been after filling the tank. I let it set several seconds and it starts up just fine. The only commonality is the fuel up. Yours seems more isolated and obscure. I'm not sure if my problem is a slight overfill or a bad seal on the gas cap. The lip is getting rusted and does not always seal well. My cel has been on for p0420 for some time, but every time this has happened I've checked the code, nothing new.I doubt it helps but that's my situation....