Headlight adjustment?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Headlight adjustment?

Post by NSimkins »

I was looking around at the headlights and was wondering if there was any way to adjust where the headlights are aimed?Driving at night with the regular low-beams on, there seems to be a point where the light just cuts out and there is darkness. What I really want to do is be able to project them just a little bit farther down the road. It is almost like they need to be pointed up a little bit.The high-beams are perfect in every aspect in my opinion, all I want to do is adjust the low-beams "out" a little.Any opinions/suggestions on this?
[Modified by NSimkins, 5:58 PM 8/4/2002]
Pump233ca

Re: Headlight adjustment? (NSimkins)

Post by Pump233ca »

I experience the same problem my friend.....took it into the dealer and asked them to check the "aim", they say it was fine..but then again this is the same dealer who said "recall, what recall" ?
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (Pump233ca)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:I experience the same problem my friend.....took it into the dealer and asked them to check the "aim", they say it was fine..but then again this is the same dealer who said "recall, what recall" ? Hm, must not be something that noticable to most people since I have not heard any complaint about this yet. Maybe it is something I will have to get used to? I could live with it if I had to of course... just wondering if there is an adjustment.
[Modified by NSimkins, 12:25 AM 8/6/2002]
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

quote:The high-beams are perfect in every aspect in my opinion, all I want to do is adjust the low-beams "out" a little.I believe the Vibe has a single element headlamp that uses one bulb for both high- and low-beam. If you adjust one, you adjust the other the same amount.
[Modified by NovaResource, 8:11 AM 8/6/2002]
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (fritzburg)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:If you want brighter low beams, why don't you just replace the stock blubs with higher wattage ones? I did that. It helped to a small point, but where the light actually stops abruptly projecting down the road is my gripe. Looks like it is just the way it is designed and I should deal with it.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Do the fog lights help out at all? Do they fill in the gaps for you? Don't know how anoying they would be to oncoming drivers. Don't imagine you are having a problem with city driving with street lamps.
Frosty 5 speed Vibe Power & Safety Packages. Naturally Aspirated my gallery
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (Frosty)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:Do the fog lights help out at all? Do they fill in the gaps for you? Don't know how anoying they would be to oncoming drivers. Don't imagine you are having a problem with city driving with street lamps.The fog lights seem to help for up-close areas and areas to the sides of the vehicle only. I only notice this issue on roads with no street lamps plus I cannot always use my high-beams either due to oncoming traffic at times.
ullbergm

Re: Headlight adjustment?

Post by ullbergm »

speaking of foglamps.Has anybody replaced their foglamps with the white or brighter bulbs?The owners manual doesn't say how you are supposed to replace them or what type of bulb..
Car: Two-tone Base Abyss, Moons and tunes, Power packageMods: 20% tint, Reflective Black GrafxWerks Overlays, German Hella Horns, Hardwired Valentine One, red interior dome lights, custom cargo floormat, police scanner, ham radio, cellphone kit and a bunch of antennas on topWishlist: Rubber floormats, million dollars
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (ullbergm)

Post by NSimkins »

Yes I did. I started a new thread for this topic to discuss the foglamp bulb replacement:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=573
[Modified by NSimkins, 11:45 AM 8/6/2002]
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (Salsa! (aka Waiting4Vibe))

Post by NSimkins »

quote:Foglamps are designed to light up close and down.... If you are in fog and you send a beam of light high up, you'll see nothing but a cloud in front of you.... However, the design of the fog lamp lights up the roadclose and wide to help you see where the road is...Exactly. I think the foglamps on the Vibe are excellent and provide good fog-lighting.
NovaResource

Re: Headlight adjustment?

Post by NovaResource »

Quick poll: do you leave your fog lamps on all the time or do you only use them occasionally?I leave the switch on all the time and let them go on either when the automatic lights turn the headlights on or if I turn the headlights manually.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (NovaResource)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:Quick poll: do you leave your fog lamps on all the time or do you only use them occasionally?Might as well create a new poll. Will be interesting to see the results from the entire board:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=574
vivianyorke

Post by vivianyorke »

I have noticed the exact same problem with my Vibe, also. The high-beams are great, but the low beams seem to shine only a VERY short distance!I have not taken it back to the dealer yet, so I have not inquired about an adjustment.Vivian Yorke, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Cheers!Vivian Yorke, Kingston, Ontario, CanadaSalsa Vibe, 5-speed, "Sport" and "Power" packages Vrooooom, Vrooooom
shadowGT

Re: Headlight adjustment? (vivianyorke)

Post by shadowGT »

I also don't like the way my headlights are. it is very distracting. I go into the dealer tomorrow for my first oil change. I hope there is someway it can be adjusted slightly.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (shadowGT)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:I go into the dealer tomorrow for my first oil change. I hope there is someway it can be adjusted slightly.Let us know what your dealer says about them.
shadowGT

Post by shadowGT »

Well, i went to the dealer, for another reason and they "didn't have time to look at the headlights, I would have to make a separate appointment". Nice, eh? So, when i go back in again for the other problem i am having I will schedule them to look at the headlights too. Sorry I couldn't help this time.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

quote:Well, i went to the dealer, for another reason and they "didn't have time to look at the headlights, I would have to make a separate appointment". Sorry to hear about your troubles. Let's hope you get some reasonable results and/or answers about this issue during your next appointment!
[Modified by NSimkins, 11:46 PM 8/9/2002]
LadyHwk750

Post by LadyHwk750 »

[QUOTE]So, when i go back in again for the other problem i am having I will schedule them to look at the headlights too. QUOTE]So, shadowGT, when is your next appointment? Have they looked at the headlight alignment yet?
shadowGT

Re: Headlight adjustment? (LadyHwk750)

Post by shadowGT »

Well, I have finally had the other issues resolved, except they scratched my car in the process. They are ordering the piece to replace that (molding in the middle of the door). I have become disgruntled with the whole thing. No, i haven't had the headlights looked at yet. I'm pretty sick of taking my car in, so i think I will wait till the next time I take it in for an oil change. 1500 miles. Thanks for asking and hopefullu some day I can let you know what happens!
LadyHwk750

Post by LadyHwk750 »

Sorry to hear about the bad luck you are having with that dealer. I know it was tough finding a good shop when I lived in Rochester, NY. It's not much better here in Philly though. Hope things go better in the future for you!

Post by 935684 »

I have the same problem. It's especially dangerous on 2 lane highways, where the speed limit is 80 km/h (50 mph). I use roads like that a lot. If you drive at 80, you're overdriving the lights. If you slow down to 60 km/h (35 mph), you're a pain in the rear to following traffic. It's even worse on limited access highways with a narrow median, where the speed limit is 60 to 75 mph. You wouldn't stand a chance if a moose or deer darted out, and you had dimmed your lights because of oncoming traffic.I think the solution I'll use is a set of driving lights aimed slightly to the right, and a bit low. I could control them with a switch on the dash, or connect them to the low beam circuit. Maybe that will give me an extra 100 yards of vision.
Robovibe

Post by Robovibe »

The aim of the low beam drove me crazy too. There is an adjustment screw on the back of each headlight for raising or lowering the aim. It takes either a screw driver or 10mm socket, you'll need the socket for the drivers side because there is limited space. Its been great to drive at night again! Note: counterclockwise will raise the aim!
[Modified by Robovibe, 6:05 PM 9/8/2002]
Robovibe Base/Salsa/auto/moons&toons/power/security/16"/after market tint
Pump233ca

Re: Headlight adjustment? (Robovibe)

Post by Pump233ca »

Ok..just went out to look at my Lights..saw the adjustment screw...How much of an adjustment did you give them, ( matter of preference right) or the other guy flashing you..I also have the "Cool Blue" Sylvania`s installed in both Head Lights and Driving Lights.
Robovibe

Re: Headlight adjustment? (Pump233ca)

Post by Robovibe »

The way I did it was by parking on a level surface (my driveway) in front of my closed garage door and turning on the low beams. check to see if both beams are even with each other.(if they aren't even them out first) I raised them up 1" and then took it for a test drive that night. That seem to make the difference on my Vibe, don't know how off yours are. It hasn't blinded the on coming traffic, it brought them up to where they should be. Good luck and be patient! it may take a little tweeking to get it just right.
[Modified by Robovibe, 6:23 PM 9/8/2002]
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Whoa, thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. Surprising though how in previous posts with members taking their vehicle to the dealership and getting nowhere... not even a hint as to if this adjustment even existed. I know I would not have guessed that bolt was what I was looking for all this time.Update: Worked perfectly! Now I can check that off of my list.
[Modified by NSimkins, 8:39 PM 9/8/2002]

Post by 935684 »

I drove on country roads and a 2 lane highway again last night, and confirmed everyone's comments about the unacceptably low aiming point for the low beam. Interestingly, I changed my mind, and I now think that the high beam ought to be aimed higher, as well. That simplifies things a bit. All it takes is to raise the aim of the dual purpose bulbs.I always change my oil and filter on a new car at the 1000 mile mark. I guess it's not really necessary, but that's what I've always done. I'm due for that change today. When I phoned to make the appointment, I told them about this discussion of the low beam aiming point. They immediately agreed to raise them without charge "as I only have 1000 miles" on the clock.I suspect I'm not the first person who's complained about this to my dealership (and it's a small one, so I'll bet they don't have many Vibe owners).By the way, I asked how much a service manual would cost, as the owner's manual gives very little information about how to service items such as this. The response was that none was available as far as they knew, as "everything is now on the computer".
[Modified by 935684, 7:54 AM 9/9/2002]
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (935684)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:I always change my oil and filter on a new car at the 1000 mile mark. I guess it's not really necessary, but that's what I've always done. I'm due for that change today. When I phoned to make the appointment, I told them about this discussion of the low beam aiming point. They immediately agreed to raise them without charge "as I only have 1000 miles" on the clock.Did you try to adjust the aim yourself? The aim adjustment bolt is right behind each headlight. Check a couple posts above for more details. I fixed my same problem this way in a matter of 10 minutes (including aiming and a test drive).quote:By the way, I asked how much a service manual would cost, as the owner's manual gives very little information about how to service items such as this. The response was that none was available as far as they knew, as "everything is now on the computer". According to Helm, it is available on Paper but not yet in stock: http://www.helminc.com/
[Modified by NSimkins, 8:06 AM 9/9/2002]

Post by 935684 »

Nope. I didn't try doing it myself. I knew I was going in for the oil change, and they had told me they'd adjust the lights without charge.Sure enough, they did a good job. I just got home after driving about 20 miles along township roads at about 35 to 50 mph. The roads twist and have many short but steep hills. I also drove along a 2 lane provincial highway at 55 to 62 mph. Vision with low beams was MUCH improved. That sharp terminator between light and dark only appeared as I approached an ascending hill. Vision with highs was noticeably better also. Problem solved.However, I still wouldn't mind getting a set of driving lights to use with my highs. I think they could be mounted in front of that lower grille, though the mechanic warned me that they might interfere with air flow to the bottom of the radiator. I'm not certain yet.Oil and filter were changed (apparently, the Vibe's oil filter is C$1 more expensive than other Pontiac filters ), and my block heater cord now protrudes from the lower grille.All in all, not too bad for a one hour visit to the dealer. Now if only I could pin down the source of that annoying rattle from the front passenger's area.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight adjustment? (935684)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:Sure enough, they did a good job. I just got home after driving about 20 miles along township roads at about 35 to 50 mph. The roads twist and have many short but steep hills. I also drove along a 2 lane provincial highway at 55 to 62 mph. Vision with low beams was MUCH improved. That sharp terminator between light and dark only appeared as I approached an ascending hill. Vision with highs was noticeably better also. Problem solved.Glad to hear your problem was greatly improved... as was mine. Definately more reassuring to drive at night with low-beams on when you can SEE. quote:However, I still wouldn't mind getting a set of driving lights to use with my highs. I think they could be mounted in front of that lower grille, though the mechanic warned me that they might interfere with air flow to the bottom of the radiator. I'm not certain yet.If you haven't already, replacing the factory bulbs with Xenon (or similar) will also greatly improve visibility. Check out this thread: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=687

Post by 935684 »

I'll second that motion.On Thursday morning at about 0500, I left home on a 170 mile trip. I live in the woods, and I had to travel through a large number of areas with mild to dense fog.The Vibe's OEM fog lights did a first-class job. My low beams alone, would not have been of much help.
LadyHwk750

Post by LadyHwk750 »

Thanks for the information Robovibe. Going to make the adjustment tonight. Have a beer on me.
Robovibe

Re: Headlight adjustment? (LadyHwk750)

Post by Robovibe »

Just a note to all you do-it-yourselfers, There should be a mark (mine was red) where the original factory setting is on the top of the adjustment screw. This will be helpful if you lose your place and want to start over. Also after all the tweaking I did the passenger side ended up back in the original setting, it was the drivers side that needed to come up.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Just adjusted my headlights tonight ...WOW what a difference.... I can seeso far no flashers of oncoming traffic so i guess i did ok.
tobermoryvibe

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by tobermoryvibe »

I am going to adjust them tomorrow. Hope this helps, it was really almost dangerous trying to drive with the low beams on. Thanks for the help.Tom
Tom2005 Pontiac Vibe2003 Doda Dakota QC 4x42003 Honda 750 Shadow
jlolli

Post by jlolli »

"The way I did it was by parking on a level surface (my driveway) in front of my closed garage door and turning on the low beams. check to see if both beams are even with each other.(if they aren't even them out first) I raised them up 1" and then took it for a test drive that night." - RoboVibeI do the same thing, only I lean a yard stick up against the wall or garage door. Also, make sure that the road is level and the wall is 90 degrees vertical. Your low beam's horizontal line will cross the yard stick somewhere, then if you drive forward or backward watch to see if that horizontal line moves up or down the yard stick. If it does creep up or down, then your lights are not parallel to the road. Make your adjustment so taht the line stays at the same place on the yardstick as you drive forward or back, that way you will know that the beam is parallel to the road. This will maximize your low beam range while not encroaching on the eyes of the oncoming driver (assuming he is not driving a Ford GT or something that puts his eyes lower than your headlights