04 Vibe with possible oil pump failure

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Keeperofthecode

04 Vibe with possible oil pump failure

Post by Keeperofthecode »

04 Pontiac 2WD 1.8LDriving home last night oil light flickered on so I pulled over. By the time I was pulled over the light was on steady. Lifters were rattling so I checked oil after shutting off engine. Took two quarts to fill it back up. Checked under it and there were no oil leaks anywhere. Cranked back up and oil light was off and engine sounded normal. Headed back down the road and 3 or 4 miles later oil light flickered again and just like before was on solid by the time I got stopped. Oil was still full so I had the car towed as I didn't want to risk tearing up the motor worse.Anybody seen this behavior from the vibe before? Been 2000 miles since last oil change.
Keeperofthecode

Re: 04 Vibe with possible oil pump failure (Keeperofthecode)

Forgot to add Oil has been changed every 3000-4000 miles and car has 135000
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

These oil pumps are not high failure type items but anything it possible. But based upon your description of the problem it sounds like you are on the right track. If you want I can send you a diagram of the pump and where it's located. Mind you it's in there deep.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Keeperofthecode

Last night I pulled the pan off and my engine and it was full of sludge. The oil pickup/screen was packed with the sludge. I cleaned the pickup and the pan and put it all back together and everything is good so far. I've put about 30 miles on it.Called the place where I get my oil changed to find out they do not use Castrol like I thought they did. They use a generic oil, LSL.?.?.? Never heard of it but I know I don't like it now. Their sign has Castrol GTX under their name so I have just always assumed that was what oil they were putting in it.
Cougar Vibe

Re: (Keeperofthecode)

Post by Cougar Vibe »

"LSL" oil is a new one to me. Do you see an sludge on the top end (via the filler hole)? It might be time for a Seafoam or Auto-RX treatment...I've had decent success w/both products on sludge-prone 1MZ-FE engines (though this is the first I've heard of a 1ZZ-FE w/sludge issues). If you have the time, it might be advantageous to post your situation over at BITOG, as I'm sure you'll get some good advice.Good luck.C_V
Keeperofthecode

The oil filler hole has a baffle on it so you cannot see down into the top of the head. I've put about 40 more miles on it now and still have had no more problems so it's looking like the pump is fine. I've been told that sludge can cause some kind of regulator in the pump to stick which may have also been part of the problem.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I guess "LSL" means Lousy Stinkin' Lubricant.The oil pump is usually the last thing to go in an oil-starved engine.I would take the valve cover off and clean out any sludge there.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I heard a lot of good things about seafoam. 1/3 in the fuel, 1/3 in the vac system (while running and run it hard) and 1/3 in the crank case (just before an oil change)Here's a link. dnm is pretty good on this stufhttp://matrixowners.com/index....afoam/
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
Keeperofthecode

The oil filler hole has a baffle on it so you cannot see down into the top of the head. I've put about 40 more miles on it now and still have had no more problems so it's looking like the pump is fine. I've been told that sludge can cause some kind of regulator in the pump to stick which may have also been part of the problem.
Keeperofthecode

Been about about 500 miles and still going strong. If anyone else stumbles across this thread try your oil screen first before commiting to replacing the pump. Especially considering how easy the 1.8 is to get the pan off.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Glad it wasn't the oil pump. Goodluck and thanks for the update
sykotk

Post by sykotk »

Just had the same issue. The oil has been replaced regularly but the light came on and the lifters started ticking. Had a shop look at it and they showed my pictures of metal shaving in some oil. Who knows if the pictures were from mine or not but to be safe I had it towed home. The shop replaced the filter and oil. I've started the motor a few times since getting it home and the oil light hasnt come back on but now I dont trust it. I'm thinking I should go in and replace the pump but after reading this thread I'll first take a look at the pickup screen.I'd love to have the schematic that Salsa Guy spoke of.....
djkeev

Re: (Keeperofthecode)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by Keeperofthecode »Last night I pulled the pan off and my engine and it was full of sludge. The oil pickup/screen was packed with the sludge. I cleaned the pickup and the pan and put it all back together and everything is good so far. I've put about 30 miles on it.Called the place where I get my oil changed to find out they do not use Castrol like I thought they did. They use a generic oil, LSL.?.?.? Never heard of it but I know I don't like it now. Their sign has Castrol GTX under their name so I have just always assumed that was what oil they were putting in it.WOW!!!! Just confirms to me all the more why I change my own oil and take care of my own repairs!!I haven't seen sludge like you describe since the 60's or 70's back before oil additives and detergents were the norm in oil. I've pulled valve covers off where you couldn't see the rockers through the waxy build up! But.... haven't seen anything like that for decades. That oil must be the bottom of the feeding chain CRAP!! Sludge like that used to be the norm, even on frequent oil changed engines but with todays oil technology it is all but eliminated.****** IMPORTANT**********I'd opt to not do a wholesale engine flush for you could release more dirt and grit in one fell swoop that could overwhelm your engine and could do your engine major harm.I'd start running a quality, major NAME BRAND oil that is clearly marked as a detergent oil. I'd start changing that oil and the filter about every 500 miles.The detergent oil will S L O W L Y dissolve the gunk over a period of 1000's and 1000's of miles. It will be much much safer to take this pile down slowly and in a controlled fashion.Seafoam or a similar product will attack the gunk build up with a vengeance and the result may NOT be pretty for your wallet!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
sykotk

Re: (djkeev)

Post by sykotk »

Pulled the oil pan today. Everything was clean. I pulled the oil pump pickup tube and the screen appears to be nearly total ly plugged up. I'm soaking it in some cleaner overnight, hopefully this is the culprit. If not I may have to pull the pump and replace. Looks to be a hell of a job. Does anyone have a service manual to explains step by step how to get to it?UPDATE:12/25 - Cleaned the pickup tube screen and re-installed. Closed everything up and test drove for nearly 50 miles now including around town driving and freeway driving with no oil light. Looks like this was the culprit.RECOMMEND:As this is not the first post of this issue with these motors, If you have over 120,000 miles on the motor you should inspect your pickup tube screen to make sure that it is not clogged.