Gas pedal is seizing?!

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
willandrews

Gas pedal is seizing?!

Post by willandrews »

Hi, I'm a new owner of a 2003 Vibe GT 6spd and I'm hoping that somebody on here will be able to help me with this problem - quite frequently when I have released the gas pedal to shift, or when I initially push it after starting my car, it is as though it's stuck and not able to be pushed. A significant amount of force, like a heavy slam on the pedal is required to unstick it. I'm worried because it seems as though the problem is getting worse and I am afraid it will seize mid-intersection or something. Any knowledge on what this could be and how to go about fixing this? Thanks.
2003 Vibe GT 6spd
Herb

Re: Gas pedal is seizing?! (willandrews)

Post by Herb »

Well the 2003 throttle is still cable driven, so I would take a look at the throttle cable to make sure the spring is clean and intact. If the spring is broken or stuck, it might be the reason the pedal sticks.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Replace the throttle cable. It sounds like its coming apart inside and will snap when enough wires get frayed. I had this happen on an old pickup I used to drive.... snapped cable... long walk to the wreckers to get another one..Get this replaced soon!!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yea first check the throttle If it's moving freely and springing back. If it looks good then it's more than likely the throttle cable. They get dried out and frayed inside then could cause some major driving issues.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
willandrews

Post by willandrews »

Thanks a lot! I checked the spring on the throttle, and it seems to be clean and intact and moves perfectly. However my dad suggested that I try to lubricate the throttle cable so I sprayed some WD40 on the exposed part of the cable and as much as I could get inside the covered part (not much, sadly) and the seizing ceases for 50-60km or so then it starts again. Is there any way of getting inside the covering of the throttle cable so I can check it out and see if it just needs to be lubed? I'm not overly mechanically inclined so I wouldn't be able to replace the cable myself and I really don't want to pay for a replacement if I don't have to. Thanks so much for your guys' help!
2003 Vibe GT 6spd
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I don't think there's any way to open up the sleeve to better lubricate it. maybe unhook it from the engine, position it to point up and spray so much in there that it runs out the other end. Or unhook it from both ends, give yourself more cable movement to get lubricant farther inbut maybe you are just buying a little time. If it was me, I'd be worried the next time it stuck it might be stuck down at high throttle. I don;t know of anyone who's done it already, but aside from perhaps needing to be a contortionist, it shouldn't be that hard to replace.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

X2 replace the cable before something bad happens
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Probably best to replace, but I would probably first use a cable luber if adaptable to it. I use them on my motorcycle clutch cable. Usually clean with wd-40 if already gunked up with a wet grease, then either let dry real good and use some kind of graphite mix or lithium grease or dedicated cable lube in an aerosol can. No reason to worry about it drying a little first with the use of lithium grease. The wd-40 probably helps lubricate and disperse more fully.Different techniques demonstrated on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/results...&aq=fBeware, it can get messy on both ends, so prepare!
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.