Oil & Check engine light on

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Bocaj77

Oil & Check engine light on

Post by Bocaj77 »

While coming home from fireworks my oil & check engine lights came on I had to drive about 15 mins before I could stop Im hoping I didnt do N E damage. I'll find out 2morrow after I take it 2 the dealer.
ragingfish

Re: Oil & Check engine light on (Bocaj77)

Post by ragingfish »

I would even call the dealer, tell them what happened, and ask them if you should drive it in. That way, if they say yes, and something happens, you can say "listen, you told me to drive it in, so you fix it."But I agree with joatmon -- check the oil level before you drive it any more. Did you recently change your oil? Could your drain plug have come loose or be reinstalled improperly? Was the filter properly installed?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
cohocarl

Re: Oil & Check engine light on (joatmon)

Post by cohocarl »

quote:If you lost oil or oil pressure, a couple of minutes won't be killer, but if you do have to drive it that way, go easy, gentle. and run the engine as little as possible until it's fixed.Not trying to start anything, but I'll have to disagree (sort of). I would stop the motor A.S.A.P. once I saw that little "oil can" light on, and not turn it over until I found out what is wrong.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
d_m_kolb

Re: Oil & Check engine light on (joatmon)

Post by d_m_kolb »

When your oil light comes on it means your oil pressure is gone. This normally means that you have no oil pumping through the engine. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE OR START IT FOR ANY REASON!Call your dealer and make them c ome get it. They will do this. Since you know there is a problem and then you drove the vehicle they might come at you as it's your fault further damage was done. Play it save and make them come get it.A oil starved engine will not last long. I'd personally do a oil analysis on the oil. This will tell you if the engine bearings, cylinder walls, rings etc. have had abnormal wear. If this is the case then the dealer should replace the engine. A oil analysis is the only way to know for sure other than tearing down the engine, but I doubt the dealer will do this. They'll probably just fix what caused the problem and get oil pressure back and send you on your way. Mean while your driving a new vehicle with a very worn engine that probably wont last anywhere near as long as it would have if this didn't happen. A oil analysis only costs about $14 to $20 bucks. Once you get the results back you have proof of how the internals of the engine are holding up. This is also proof to get the dealer to replace the engine if need be. http://www.oaitesting.com/ is the cheapest I have found who does oil analysis. I say to do this because the dealer never has what's best for the customer in mind. This will cover your (removed).Best of luck.